Self-strumming guitar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/26/self-strumming-guitar.html

3 Likes

More like a wearable player piano. I like it! Needs to be combined with:

3 Likes

Reminds me a bit of the Gizmotron, which is reminiscent of a hurdy gurdy in its mechaniism.

6 Likes

Spin that thing, Gurney!

5 Likes

What I really want to know is, does it djent?

1 Like

the inventor had one of these as a kid

(the tonearm has music box tines hanging underneath it)

6 Likes

If your sequencer is sample based you can sequence the percussive plucks and string slides and whatever other noises you think make one instrument more authentic than another.

I bought an SM57 microphone specifically to grab some good samples of myself attempting a mandolin chop chord. Which I toyes with in a loop to try out some ideas.

4 Likes

From the description it seems to be just a clock/tempo sync out and in via USB (MIDI?). For example could it translate ‘true swing’ or just a continuous tempo pulse - modulating in speed as well.

This would make a lot more sense in an acoustic guitar as I’m failing to see how this would be different than a sophisticated digital delay device. Also this would probably be more suited to the current trend of CV/Gate controlled devices that don’t require a computer interface.

Bah Humbug!

Would probably make a squee sound if Santa gave me one though!

2 Likes

Came to the comments for “hurdy gurdy”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.