"Selfie" named word of the year

I am really pleased with you and all of the facts reported in this article. Bravo. Bravo.

(I voted for “cloud”, which didn’t even make the shortlist.)

Selfie was first coined in Australia where it is common practice to create abbreviations by suffixing -i or - ie.
Now I know that the word doesn’t sound so objectionable.

Here’s a freshly baked internet cupcake for you!

1 Like

It’s common practice here, too!

Love,

Octavia (“Tavie”)

Here??

Deepest regrets. Here in America where I reside.

…Australia where the suffix - i/ie is much more productive than in most English speaking countries, viz. bushy, bush person; firie, fire person; surfie, surfer; Tassie, Tasmania.

Now that selfie’s off the table (rather early too), I wonder what Merriam-Webster and the American Dialect Society will pick. I assume one will go for ‘twerk’.

Actually, selfie sounds like a euphemism for masturbation.

3 Likes

barbie

I move we try to shift the meanig this way.

I’ve never once taken a selfie. I don’t hate them. I just don’t get them. If I want a picture that has myself in it, why not choose one that someone else took where I’m doing something fun or interesting? The best part of photos is catching and preserving the moment. A photo you took yourself that’s pretty much just you, not doing anything special or memorable that you can tell from the shot, doesn’t seem to do that for me that well. I look at some of my favorite shots of myself and remember fun times about those moments or that period of my life and people that look at them can tell something about me in those times,too. Just snapping my own face staring at the camera on a typical Tuesday doesn’t seem like it would have that. I get wanting a picture that just shows what you look like in general. But couldn’t that aim still be achieved with a cooler pic than a selfie? A pic of you and the people and things that show what you were into at the time catches what you look like PLUS other important stuff. If I need a “better” pic of myself than a snapshot of something or somewhere or some time memorable, it probably needs to be better than a selfie,too It probably needs to be a photo taken by someone else who is focused on taking a good photo of me. If it can be as casual as a selfie, I want something more interesting. If it needs to be so portrait-like that casual shot of something interesting going on won’t cut it, I want something more professional and high quality than a selfie.

Actually, the trend around here among teens is not just selfies, but actually making a weird ugly face for those selfies. They’re used for Snapchat because (in theory anyway) the photos go away so quickly. Everyone just remembers how wacky and stupid you were but doesn’t have any lasting proof.

No, I don’t get it either.

1 Like

I’ve taken a few self-portraits with the phone. Usually because what I really wanted was a picture of the cat sitting on my shoulder and she doesn’t often do that when other folks are around.

Outside of that… I don’t tend to go for snapshots generally, and if I’m shooting humans I’m a firm believer that you get better pix when shooting candid (and preferably available light).

1 Like

This is kind of even funnier after you I checked www.urbandictionary.com for the definition

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.