Semper Fur: fursuit technician improves military cooling vest and troops are into it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/20/semper-fur-fursuit-technician.html

6 Likes

OMG they militarized Furry fetishes!

3 Likes

Fursuit technology has come a long, long way. I’ve seen some very sophisticated liquid cooling systems and integrated fans in suits. I’m glad these guys have found a wider market for their product!

10 Likes

I’ve actually been pondering within the past few weeks if i can convince our safety team at work to trial out cooling vests for some of our field ops guys at my work. They have to deal with high humidity and heat in Texas and i was thinking that these vests would be great, but at $200 i wasn’t sure if they’d be interested but i think they’d go a long way for making hard field work more safe in the summer heat.

11 Likes

I think I know now what to give myself for my upcoming birthday.

4 Likes

Oh, he knows.
There are absolutely military furries out there.Given the size of the US armed forces and the furry fandom , there’s bound to be some overlap there.

19 Likes

Wow, that’s really cool.

9 Likes

That joke was ice cold

8 Likes

Freezing, you might say.

6 Likes

I saw that episode, I think the premise probably seemed less ridiculous on the page than on the screen. To sum up: A guy in a raccoon fursuit was shot by a rancher who mistook him for a coyote and didn’t realize his mistake even after the shooting. The problem of course being that in real life no one would confuse a man in a fursuit for a coyote, even one doubled over in nausea as the victim was.

11 Likes

I’m tickled that a Dutch, gay, furry enthusiast is producing gear for US soldiers… it’s like the inverse of all those “tactical” products like baby carriers…

15 Likes

CSI you say?

Were the cops in “hot fursuit”?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Yeah, the article literally opens with a former US soldier being honored by his comrades… while in fursuit. (What an image.)

Travis finished 14 years of military service clad ears-to-paws in white fur striped with electric blue.

In his green claws, the former armorer for the U.S. Army held a collection of military insignia, including a Combat Action Badge, signifying that he had engaged with enemy fighters in Iraq. He stood before an amused audience of men in tight haircuts and camouflage as his unit came together to honor his service.

5 Likes

Man, it’s over 200 bucks… If if I dressed up in costumes more than once a year in the summer, this might be worth it… maybe if I ever finish my TK build and join the 501st…

Fun fact - no way The Shadow fights crime in the summer…

https://www.ezcooldown.com/us/shop-by-use/mascot-costume-performers-cooling-vests

4 Likes

CSI is after the fact. When they have to… sniff around for clues.

4 Likes

I wonder if this is the person mentioned in this Zero Blog Thirty podcast:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/zbt-190-get-in-furmation-ft-wwii-veteran-earl-casebier

I listened, but do not recall the service member’s name.

They were jokey, but overall pretty respectful.

2 Likes

I’ve seen enough gay furry anthro US armed forces art not to be surprised.

7 Likes

I did my first EVA foam armor cosplay last year… I knew anecdotally that fursuits and the like are prone to overheating for the wearer and helmeted builds (mine had no helmet) usually incorporate fan cooling in the helmet, but somehow failed to extrapolate that into how I, a hot-blooded person who starts experiencing temperature discomfort at about 70 degrees, would experience being encased in full-body insulation materials. There were regrets.

Even at $215, this is seriously tempting to me after that experience. Im not even planning on doing another armor build, but just to survive a packed convention hall in summer while wearing a costume with long sleeves.

4 Likes

Pics or it didnt happen.

1 Like

Story reported in the Daily Beast…