Sen Mitch McConnell blames Obama for bill that Obama vetoed and McConnell repeatedly voted for

Their electorate. No senator up for reelection wants to be seen as unsympathetic to 9/11 victims and their families, lest they lose their seat in the U.S Senate.

Calling those 28 senators ‘spineless’ would be an insult to invertebrates.

15 Likes

Which is EXACTLY why they are trying to edit the bill as we speak. Fuckers all of them.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that there really are that many stupid people in my former home state, and you can’t even blame gerrymandering for giving them an outsized voice. Gerrymandering doesn’t impact senate seats; they’re state-wide races that aren’t decided based on the number of districts you win - they’re straight popular vote. This is why, for example, Washington’s senators are both Democrats, despite the fact that outside of Seattle, the rest of the state is pretty red (and why every time those senators are up for re-election, billboards pop up in Spokane about Seattle “stealing our representation”). Kentucky just doesn’t have a blue dot to offset all of the wingnuts.

5 Likes

I’m looking for news of a re-convening to revise S-2040, but I can’t find anything. Share your source link when you have a chance, thanks.

2 Likes

Keeping people stupid in Tennessee since 1866

3 Likes

here is a quick reference

The operative word is “may”.Which is poli-speak for ‘oops we fucked up and we will have to do something about it’

9 Likes

Oh okay, I didn’t know that. I figured that since Congress is always the same gaggle of dipshits, that the Senate worked the same way. In that case, the best thing to do is take, nuke the state from orbit. Only way to be sure.

3 Likes

Yeah, the state I’m in right now. Nashville was looking at legalizing marijuana and the state threatened to take away any funding for the city if passed. The stupid burns bright here.

I wish these people would move to Texas and then secede like they want to. Just so we can put the country back together again.

8 Likes

From the first linked article:

House Speaker Paul Ryan said Congress might have to “fix” the legislation to protect US troops in particular. Ryan did not give a time frame, but Republican Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he thought JASTA could be addressed in Congress’ “lame-duck” session after the Nov. 8 election.

Ryan then added: “I still want to know what drugs are being circulated within the Senate such that ninety-seven of our country’s top state representatives thought passing this fustercluck was a good idea.”

6 Likes

Moreover, cosponsors of the stupid bill include Diane Feinstein (who signed the letter) and Chuck Schumer , as well as several “progressive” senators like Al Franken and Elizabeth Warren.

While it is nice to see that my two senators are on this letter and weren’t cosponsors, I do intend to write them to ask why they voted for it.

(Edited to correct a statement)

8 Likes

That’s like how last month I had my 40th birthday and now I’m 38.

Because Republicans defunded my math classes.

7 Likes

Understanding math makes people smarter. Republicans can’t have that now can they??

The root of the problem IS education.Or, rather, the lack thereof.

1 Like

Translation: “I’d like to blame everything on him, but I haven’t yet found a way of doing so.”

10 Likes

Wow, I’m not in congress or a politician but when somebody told me they were trying to pass a bill so people could sue the Saudi government over 9/11 my first though is:

“Doesn’t that open things up to other countries suing the US over all the shit we have done over the years?”

All I can say is:

“CHRIST! WHAT AN ASSHOLE!!!”

6 Likes

This is peak Republican. Blaming the president for not explaining why a piece of legislation was a bad idea, which alone is absurd, but even more absurd when he did, in fact, do just that - and in multiple ways at multiple times.

Yeah. As has been pointed out, the government investigation found no connection to the Saudi government, so a lawsuit will? It’s going to go nowhere. And, meanwhile, as you point out, the US has been involved in plenty of things that it could be sued over.

5 Likes

Wasn’t this the reason that Obama couldn’t keep any troops in Iraq post W’s withdrawal date – no guarantees that the troops would be protected?

3 Likes

The Party of Personal Responsibility is positively awe-inspiring in their dedication to blaming Obama

9 Likes

Isn’t that a good thing? Shouldn’t the innocent in Gitmo be entitled to recompense for their treatment?

5 Likes

I saw an insect once, so I burned the whole house down.

Some “solutions” are really just bigger problems in disguise.

1 Like

I have a few thoughts here:

1. McConnell is just the worst. The administration explained a million times over how this could backfire on us. I heard the counterarguments repeatedly before the first vote, never mind the veto override vote.

2. In the Senate, every single Democrat voted FOR it the first time, including Bernie Sanders, Time Kaine, Diane Feinstein, and Harry Reid. On the veto override vote, Harry Reid is the ONLY vote against this law. Our hero Bernie Sanders abstained, and Tim Kaine abstained. Abstaining is weak medicine, but maybe they had their reasons. Every single other Democrat voted for it, TWICE.

3. What if this law accidentally compelled us to behave more responsibly on the international scene? Right now, we’re accountable to no one and we meddle in everything.

14 Likes