Sen. Richard Blumenthal on Trump "No more serious criminality could be alleged"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/sen-richard-blumenthal-on-tru.html

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, at least Trump is acting appropriately scared over the last few days. Hopefully that signals that his Republican supporters in Congress are telling him that they’re done? (I’m not naive, but hey, stranger things have happened.)

8 Likes

But he’s a Democrat, so what evs. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

Understatement.

However, we also have to remember that Nixon likely would have survived Watergate if both houses of Congress hadn’t been controlled by Democrats.

15 Likes

Until I see Republicans going on record with similar comments on this topic, I’m not sure we are really getting anywhere as a nation.

9 Likes

Wake me when these words actually mean something actionable.

8 Likes

The 6 stages of a Trump crime:

1. It didn’t happen.
  2. OK, it happened but it’s no big deal.
  3. OK, it is a big deal but it’s not illegal.
  4. OK, it might be illegal, but it’s not a serious crime
  5. OK, it might be a serious crime, but… but.
  6. Hillary - Obama!
19 Likes

If the Democrats do take the house (likely but not a given) they may be able to impeach, but it is highly unlikely they will take the senate and have a 67 seat majority which is what they would need to impeach Trump. So it might end up like the Clinton impeachment by congress in the 90s, and the fact that wouldn’t be able to follow through completely with the senate might be seen a sort of victory for Trump and mobilize his supporters in 2020.

1 Like

Call me when this is said by a Republican.

cAKHYpy

13 Likes

And even then Watergate failed to gain much official traction until the GOP stopped stonewalling and acting as a block to protect the president. Which didn’t happen until the “smoking gun” tapes. And public opinion on the subject looked insanely similar to what we’re seeing right now until that point.

Nixon even saw re-election as the scandal ramped up. Despite the scandal being rooted in an attempt to manipulate the election illegally. Creating concerns about the legitimacy of his 2nd term.

So again. Watergate + idiots.

9 Likes

17 Likes

Two season so far. (sorry, I just watched the Honest Trailers video from another thread)

3 Likes

Well, no one claims that witchhunts don’t result in a lot of convictions… A lot of accused witches even plead guilty to avoid worse fates.

(This isn’t one. Obviously.)

2 Likes

Based on the people nabbed so far, I’d say this has been a warlock-hunt… and, so far, a successful one at that.

3 Likes

Why is this idiot interviewer placing the onus on the Democrats? Shouldn’t she be asking further questions as to why the repugnantcans have failed to sepak out for the rule of law and the Constitution of the United States? The media is a huge problem when they constantly frame the questions in a completely inappropriate and misleading way.

1 Like

“No more serious criminality could be alleged”? Challenge accepted!

7 Likes

Also: Illegal aliens! Killing our daughters! Must stop them all!

3 Likes

You forgot stage 7 — Killer Mexican Illegals!!!

1 Like

I think he vastly underestimates Trump’s potential criminality.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.