Senator assumes female pilot is "stewardess"(video)

season 5 sisters GIF by Braxton Family Values

Black And White Mood GIF by Laff

7 Likes

How did we all miss that???

Plus, she’s there as the official representative for the largest pilot association in the world. She said the word “pilot” at least a half-dozen times in her short intro.

But “Toots”…JFC on a pogo stick. And you know he trotted that one out at the private club later that night, to approving chuckles.

12 Likes

I think part of the reason we hadn’t noticed is that it slips out so quickly and easily — like it’s a pure habit. He probably uses it to address any woman he considers of lesser status than himself.

7 Likes

Yes, I was surprised to see he was in his early 60s. I would have been less surprised to hear it coming from someone in their late 70s or 80s.

Then again, the rural midwest really is 20 years or so behind in terms of cultural change. And I say that as someone who has spent a lot of time in the rural midwest. So perhaps I should be less surprised to hear someone of his age talking like someone 20 years older.

1 Like

I hear you – as a native Midwesterner currently living in a rural Midwestern area, and older than he is – but he’s a Senator. There’s a protocol to speaking on the floor of the Senate. (Well, OK, there WAS a protocol.)

“Toots” is the sort of thing young men in finance would call women, especially those in the service industry. in the 1980s. Or what waitresses (not servers, back then) in diners would call him when he was a child.

It’s not just being ‘old’, it’s performative.

9 Likes

A different time with no female pilots? Because Amelia Earhart was flying in the 1930s. Go back just a couple decades more and you’d be surprised to see male pilots.

8 Likes

I apparently adopted this knucklehead as an alter ego in my 1998 song “Rich Inner Life.” Pops up when YouTubing “rich inner life rodman”

So pretty much all women, then…

Happy David Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.