Senator Cotton again encourages the public to rough up protestors, posting a video: "How it should be done"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/16/senator-cotton-again-encourages-the-public-to-rough-up-protestors-posting-a-video-how-it-should-be-done.html

9 Likes

Amazing way to deal with persons that have a different point of view! Violence! Amazing, truly amazing.

8 Likes

I don’t think I’m actually allowed to say what I think should be done with fascist fanboy Tom Cotton. But I’m thinking it real, real hard. And it involves crowbars, piano wire, and Gnip Gnops!

10 Likes

Senator Cotton again encourages the public to rough up protestors

And the inevitable, shocked response when T loses, MAGA protesters and gravy seals throw a fit, which leads angry, fed up Americans to beat the s* out of them:

“No, not like that!”

10 Likes

When a Senator is obstructing the people’s business, can one toss said Senator into a nearby pond? Asking for a friend.

15 Likes

No, they’ll still be the ones beating people up. All his pronouncement really amounts to is: “This is how our side should be allowed to behave.”

9 Likes

Well of course that’s different. Notice that Cotton called these protestors “criminals”. Their protestors, obviously, wouldn’t be criminals. They would be good, patriotic Americans. They’re allowed to protest. Criminals aren’t allowed to protest. And Democrats, progressives, people of color, gays, and trans people are all criminals. By definition. (/s…just for any new person who wanders in here who doesn’t know me)

11 Likes

Wasn’t that attempted in Israel, and we are now witnessing how all that bravado plays out?

I don’t see an endgame that doesn’t end in violence, except perhaps the extinction of mankind.

I wonder if Mr. Cotton is just bereft of imagination; or supremely confident in his own durability and/or the unflinching loyalty and continuous vigilance of his protective detail, if any?

You don’t have to be in favor of political violence to note that there’s enough elite failure around to make the elite perhaps the most justified target of it, for anyone who is in favor and isn’t purely about chickenshit punching down.

6 Likes

Something that increasingly strikes me is how conservatives view out groups, including whole US cities and even states, as “not (real) Americans.” So whenever they talk about how “Americans are allowed to protest” or “Americans have rights,” it not only specifically applies to only them, but there’s the (usually unspoken) corollary as well - as not (real) Americans, the out group has no rights at all…

7 Likes

Wilhoit’s Law. Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

13 Likes

Hm. What could that be? What could that possibly beeeeeeeeeeeee?

Oooo! I know!

5 Likes

Yep. It’s just interesting the extent to which the outside group gets othered, to the extent of the denial of nationality. It extends Wilhoit’s law to the point where basic rights get covered.

2 Likes

denying even personhood. ( comparing people to animals for instance )

(eta: people on the left sometimes take steps this direction too: incorrectly saying that ■■■■■’s supporters, racists, fascists, etc are all stupid. and while that’s not good either, it’s about as close as the left seems to get. )

4 Likes
4 Likes

This is why I continue to name Cotton, along with Hawley and Vance, as one of the most dangerous fascists in the U.S. Senate. They’re not cartoonish figures like Biff or EmptyG, but they’ll enable violence against political opponents just the same.

1 Like

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.