Senator Rand Paul severely beaten while mowing lawn, unable to return to DC; neighbor arrested

Do the same thing and be black and/or poor.

11 Likes

The not being able to fly part - if he broke ribs, he probably either has a pneumothorax or some lung contusions where he wasn’t cleared for not having a punctured lung yet.

Flying in a pressurized plane at altitude with a pocket of air in your chest is a Bad Thing. It usually takes a few weeks and a clear chest x-ray to be okayed, but if it wasn’t an actual puncture and they’re just erring on the side of caution, he could be cleared in a few days.

5 Likes

Surely this was just taking the libertarian philosophy to its logical conclusion. You dont like your neighbors lawn mowing, you should deal wiťh the problem yourself and not ask the community to solve your problems for you.

5 Likes

Holy fucksocks; congress critters are being physically assaulted now.

Even if it’s a repugnant, piss poor excuse for a human being like Rand, that’s not “okay.”

I don’t even know what to say, other than the thin veneer of civility our society is shellacked with seems to cracking and crumbling ever faster by the day.

SMH.

Sadly, I think that ship may have already sailed.

Additional props for the Chidi reference.

13 Likes

I have a version of the same dream. I wanna beat the crap out of right wing economists. "Marginal utility this you… "

Violence solves nothing. However you can sometimes change the shape of the problem by tackling it differently. In this case literally.

…riding mower?

Mowing is as mowing does.

1 Like

Good thing too.

This is why everyone hates moral philosophers.

1 Like

6 Likes

A society the applauds violence of any kind is not progress.

2 Likes

A society that is reliant on the perpetual denigration, exploitation and subjugation of the masses in order to ‘make progress’ is not truly a society at all.

9 Likes

That door got opened in June when that loon shot up the Republican’s baseball practice which, strange aside, Sen. Paul was present at during the shooting.

2 Likes

On the contrary, it’s about as implausible as any story ever told.

OK, this guy’s an anesthesiologist, and he can’t manage to get to sleep. . .

Stopped reading there.

Ethics can be “pragmatic” when your ideology calls for them to be, just as four fingers can be five when your ideology says so.

Of course, in the current environment, where speech is violence and violence is speech depending on whether or not you like the person being discussed, I do not expect this to be understood.

Technically it’s still a society, but a horrible one. We haven’t gotten to the extreme that you suggest so I assume your statement is hyperbole.

We need to have both nonviolence and just treatment of all members of society for us to consider to have made any progress. Lacking one doesn’t automatically justify the other.

Yet more proof that libertarianism is just anarchy for the rich.

If Rand Paul wants to feel safe in his own home, he should have spent his own time and money building a very tall fence, and hiring extra security. It’s entirely his own fault his neighbor hurt him. The free market would suggest that to Rand Paul, his own comfort and safety is worth a lot. He shouldn’t have ignored that moral imperative. Thus says Ayn Rand.

11 Likes

6 Likes

Gabby Giffords was shot long belong that, a full 6 years ago.

I don’t think there was one single moment or incident that “opened the door;” I think the factors at work have been going on for quite a long time; and now, like a boiling pot, everything is starting to roil over.

No argument there.

Who’s “we?”

8 Likes

Our Foreign Secretary was caught plotting with one of his rich friends to have a journalist beaten up. He has never been prosecuted.
The thin veneer does not necessarily cover the rich and powerful.

5 Likes