'Sense8' Canceled at Netflix (Update: Not so fast!)

1 Like

To be fair, we knew we’d never have that recipe again.

2 Likes

I don’t think a petition will help.

The problem here is the economics aren’t like traditional TV - you aren’t going to drum up advertiser interest or syndication deals. Sense8, given the amazing production values, was insanely expensive to produce, and it’s not like the fans are all suddenly going to be new Netflix subscribers.

JMS has said as much:

Also, it’s way too expensive for anyone else:

2 Likes

Maybe episode four of the first season, that’s when the story started getting more traction. But I tend to like slow deliberate TV myself.

No! Or, not end? It was a great second season, IMO. Many plot lines resolved nicely as it finished, and others began to take off. It was a great season finale, but terribly suspenseful series finale. Most series don’t get the benefit of a proper story conclusion anyway. My inner optimist is still hoping that there will be yet more Sense8 in some form.

1 Like

It’s hardly a new problem. You’d think production crews could prepare different versions of each scene for episodes closer to the end of a season, so they could be edited together one way if the show is renewed or the other way if it’s canceled.

I’m really hoping for comics.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not alone.

I loved Daredevil and Jessica Jones, found Luke Cage watchable but couldn’t really get into it, but when I was watching Iron Fist all I could think was “really?”

BTW, is Netflix pulling Sense8 or just not renewing it? Because I’ve been putting off watching it. If it’s getting pulled, I should watch it while I still can.

1 Like

I liked Luke Cage and Daredevil S1 best. Daredevil S2 and Jessica Jones were good. The pacing dragged and they needed more story to fill the time, but Jessica Jones was well written.

Iron Fist was a huge disappointment and got worse as it went along. I only slogged through it so I would know what’s going on in Defenders, but there’s no way I’ll subject myself to a second season.

2 Likes

I dunno. I don’t mind this kind of lampshading as a subtle nod to the viewers. It beats the old “plastic surgery” trope!

Anybody watch Dynasty? When Steven was changed they went with the old “facial reconstruction” gambit to explain the new actor (a very young Jack Coleman – aka HRG from Heroes). (Funnily enough in the later mini-series that ran after the main show was cancelled they went back to the original actor for Steven with no explanation.) Then when Fallon was changed there was no explanation and great pains were made to preserve continuity by changing paintings and pictures, and even filming the exact same intro sequence in the same dress with the different actress.

2 Likes

Wow, Dynasty. Didn’t see that one coming.

2 Likes

I have a enjoy/hate relationship with the original Dynasty. Specifically I hate that I enjoyed what amounted to a primetime soap opera. I don’t want anymore remakes of soap operas or sitcoms. I’d like to leave my bad taste in the past where it belongs along with that shark-skin suit I once owned.

1 Like

Dynasty (and it’s spin-off The Colbys) is a guilty pleasure of mine. It was so trashy but it was also quite a trailblazer for its time.

It was one of the first prime time shows to feature a main character that was not only openly gay, but played completely straight (no pun intended) - not as a stereotype or punchline. It also was notable for its many successful and independent female lead characters.

I mean yeah, so much of it was pulpy but it was fun and didn’t take itself to seriously. Definitely a product of its time.

2 Likes

HBO pulls off big budget stuff (though those budgets sometimes sink them as well; Rome I’m looking at you), they should pick up the show.

I was also bothered by how slow it was. Episode after episode was more “hey, weird things are happening that don’t make sense and it’s messing up my life! (or solving a problem)” without moving the story forward more than a few millimeters. I kept watching, and kept waiting. For. Something. To. Happen.

Ended up skipping 3 episodes in the middle, then picked up again for the last two (of season 1) and felt like I didn’t miss anything. I’m hoping season 2 gets things going a little more.

1 Like

Agreed. Like the shark-skin suit, which I bought in a thrift shop on a lark, it’s okay to like trashy things as long as you don’t take them too seriously :slight_smile:

But we live in such a golden age of TV, that I can’t go for the Velveeta when there’s so much gourmet cheese on offer.

3 Likes

There’s got to be a Colby joke in there, somewhere!

3 Likes

I’m really sorry to be posting this…

I never got to see it, as I don’t have Netflix. But as an Angel, Lone Gunmen, and Firefly fan, believe me, I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Whhaaaaaaaa. I want one now.

1 Like

I actually bought it in a thrift shop in LA, which has some of the world’s most interesting second-hand clothing stores, or at least it did back in the day. Let’s just say I watched a few too many mafia movies in my impressionable youth.

Crap. I have none too high an opinion of LA, and I haven’t yet even made it outside the airport.

1 Like

Don’t blame ya’. Some things about LA are wonderful, but it’s a real concrete jungle in the desert. I was there for 3.5 years during undergrad.