Sesame Street characters doing impressions of each other is gold

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/sesame-street-characters-doing.html

7 Likes

I can barely stomach Elmo. Abby makes me ponder flammability.
And get off my lawn!

2 Likes

I love The Count’s attempts the best

18 Likes

omg, the Bert and Snuffy impressions were the BEST.

9 Likes

Cookie Monster is the best Sesame Street character of all time and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Even though, I know, I know, that is against the Sesame Street mission.

20 Likes

Abby Cadabby as Cookie Monster is how I imagine Captain Beefheart would have sounded after an all-night helium bender.

I’m comin’! I neeed some cookies fer ma bellyyyyy!!

ETA - Finished watching it, the whole thing is great. I particularly loved Cookie Monster pondering the strangeness of having a trunk, and Elmo’s imitation of Snuffy’s eyelashes.

9 Likes

I’m gonna follow Elmo’s advice and get back to work now…

The Muppet performers are so good at improv. Abby’s puppeteer is amazing, I love that she was able to impersonate other voices while still sounding like Abby doing other voices.

Jesus, dude.

14 Likes

I miss the days when only Big Bird knew Snuffy was real. Imagine if they asked the other muppets to give their impressions of him, only to be told they have no idea who that is!

12 Likes

You need to head down to the west side for that kind of action.

9 Likes

According to someone I know who worked there in the 90s, CTW changed it because the feedback was that it was extremely frustrating for children that no-one believed Big Bird (who was the audience stand-in pre-Elmo). Following from that, there were real concerns that it might discourage kids from opening up to adults about “unthinkable” and unseen things like child abuse.

23 Likes

my 2yo and I were watching the '78 Christmas Eve on Sesmae Street at 5:30 this morning, and the opening is an amazing lo-budg, slow burn segment of muppets on ice. Whoever was in the cookie monster suit was nailing it. (Burt was also pretty great.)

9 Likes

Ahem, Sesame street was on the West Side… it was filmed down the street from where I went to school. As were several of the soaps.

12 Likes

this is the truth. they had an episode all about it. i liked the playfulness of the idea of Snuffy as an “imaginary” friend for Big Bird, but i totally understand their savvy, compassionate pivot to having everyone able to see him and to believe Big Bird.

13 Likes

So Cookie Monster Hunter ain’t your thing?

I also love Cookie Monster. :)

18 Likes

Horrifying but also awesome - if it was Elmo I’d be nowhere near as conflicted!

9 Likes

Then I guess I would say, head a few blocks further west for the brawl?

4 Likes
3 Likes

I guess it’s a good thing that you’re not the intended target demographic for those characters, then.

Put up your dukes; the Yips Yips have him beat by one cookie in my book.

9 Likes

It was a silly bit while it lasted but there’s no way they could have kept that gag from getting old after 50 years.

Plus it was fun to finally see Big Bird get his “VINDICATED, BITCHES!!” moment. It was like the first time Agent Mulder got Scully to witness a UFO.

10 Likes