Seven dead, seven injured in Santa Barbara rampage shooting

And yet they solve crimes, not predict them. It appeared to me the OP’s wife was referring to the people already working with the shooter.

I understand :smile:
I’m from CA, and attended Purdue U. Basically all of the city of West Lafayette, IN is Purdue University. The downtown serves students and faculty, and if you went downtown you’d mainly meet people associated with the U. So, even though you wouldn’t be on the campus, you’d be “at” Purdue (across the street). A lot of college towns are set up that way.

I think I can explain why else it’s being called “near UCSB”). It didn’t happen in Santa Barbara, but in Isla Vista (where the college is located) and fewer people (even in CA) know on a map where Isla Vista is than where UCSB is. I realize it may get played off as a “school shooting” but with multiple downtown locations noted (most news outlets I checked mention that it occurred mainly in the downtown loop) as sites, I think it’s being made clear this didn’t occur on campus.

1 Like

Thank you for noting that. I forgot to mention that CA covers it in my comment. I was talking about the fact that the majority of the country does not (neither does the FBI) so news outlets typically don’t consider crimes against women to be classed as hate crimes. It’s no surprise (but rather, a tremendous disappointment) that they don’t report them that way - even here in CA.

1 Like

Yes, he would have used different tools. April 15, 2014: five people were stabbed to death in Calgary. Mass murders can still happen without guns, just different tools are used.

A person this screwed up would not be deterred by much.

The REAL question is: how can a guy this messed up present SO MANY warning signs (including such a threatening video posted for the world to see), and yet no authorities are alerted?

There is also the question of what, exactly, in our society, allows a person to develop like this?

2 Likes

BBC is reporting that his first three victims were his roommates, by stabbing.

Then he tried to get into a sorority house, then started shooting people on the street.

1 Like

Where did he get the idea women go for the bad boys?

1 Like

Gawker had a link to his 140-page manifesto. In which, he exhaustively lists every insult, slight, and “injustice” he feels he’s experienced since birth. At 5, he was too short to ride a roller coaster. At 12, two of his friends rooted for another friend to win a Nintendo game they were playing. And so on.

He also details the string of counselors his parents sent him to as he got older, including one who tried to give him antipsychotic drugs (which he refused to take). His “dating” strategy appeared to be wandering the streets alone at night waiting for a woman to swoop in and love him. In the months leading up to this, he assaulted several people around the campus; dumping beverages over the heads of couples who he felt were flaunting their happiness at him.

Finally he talks about his master plan to lock up all women in concentration camps and starve them to death, because we cannot be allowed to choose our own mates as we’re “depraved” and “mentally flawed.”

I may not sleep very well tonight.

8 Likes

So, since you’re a gun owner, can you tell me how stricter gun laws in the United States will keep guns out of U.S. citizens’ hands?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hobby-discussion/19557-mini-mill-built-colt-1911-45-clones.html

http://fusion.net/justice/story/homemade-guns-unserialized-unregistered-totally-legal-theyre-kill-594523

I’m betting that’s not too far beyond the capabilities of some of the more advanced Make: readers.

I’m also betting that if they start putting restrictions on parts, there’ll be an expanded black market for parts, more machine shops running special jobs at off hours, restrictions on 3D printing in the future, and so on. I can’t see this ending without building a much larger, totalitarian government. And I know how much my fellow BB readers enjoy totalitarian governments.

Not to mention that, hey, they build guns in other countries, and they can be smuggled in by the same sorts of people who smuggle in heroin. And we all know what the legal status of heroin does for crime…

http://stopthedrugwar.org/taxonomy/term/83

They tried to prohibit alcohol in the U.S. We had to think of the women and children! It didn’t work; not only did it not cut down on consumption, crime rates were insane.

They tried to ban marijuana in the U.S. How’s that working?

They’ve tried to ban a number of substances. When my home state tried to ban meth, it just made things more dangerous; at one point, I took to taking back roads, because thieves were using the main roads to steal their batteries, Sudafed, etc., and cops would just, whoop, hey, look, I drove up on a roadblock, at 8 a.m., and there’s a car coming up behind me at 100mph. Nothing quite like thinking you’re living in a safe-ish, rural area, only to see high-speed chases happening on a daily basis. They stopped that crap after the Columbians came back, because at that point crack was cheaper than meth.

The only way I could see it working here is if we worked on larger issues, like mental health, social safety nets, and so on. The rules that apply in places like Switzerland or Japan don’t apply here, because we’re completely different societies.

This is coming from a stupid hick. I mean, I’m told I am; I’m not from a coast, I have a mid-south drawl, I’m on the edge of the Bible Belt, and by living in a rural area, I don’t know why the heck I’m supposed to live under the same rules as people on the left and right coasts, because they don’t really apply here.

4 Likes

He didn’t even attend UCSB, apparently. He went to the City College 10 miles away. He wanted the “college lifestyle” so he lived in I.V. even though most SBCC students tend to live elsewhere. It’s not a really convenient place to live unless you’re actually at UCSB.

2 Likes

Not sure why you’re telling me that.
I never said, or even inferred, that he attended the college. I only said he was there to attack female students. He openly stated that he was coming to attack women at the sorority. He started his downtown drive-by when he couldn’t get in to that building.

He might not have had the grades to get into UCSB, it’s a pretty desirable (read “enter as a junior”) school. So, with plenty of cash, he could live where he wanted and still go to a school nearby.

2 Likes

Er, sorry. I was replying to the general thread about it being near the campus but not on it. Although it appears his apartment was 2 doors down from where mine was, lo these 20 years ago.

Edit: And he also apparently attended Moorpark College. My sisters are there. This is all a little too close to home for me.

3 Likes

Totally off the subject (well, not really), but . . .

"Authorities said they are looking at videotaped as well as written evidence . . . "

“Videotaped”? Really? That word still exists?

3 Likes

Quite all right, hope my tone was taken as confused, and not irritated.
It is really distressing when shocking events happen near “home” even if that place isn’t where you currently live. Sorry to hear that your family has been involved in such a terrible tragedy.

Well done, sir.

Im a stupid hick too, but I just got schooled.

2 Likes

I am drinking to cope with the self-inflicted wounds of Too Much Media today. This… I just can’t even.

A woman’s worst nightmare? That’s pretty easy. Novelist Margaret Atwood writes that when she asked a male friend why men feel threatened by women, he answered, “They are afraid women will laugh at them.” When she asked a group of women why they feel threatened by men, they said, “We’re afraid of being killed.”

7 Likes

What, there are no non-white blondes? Also, it seems clear that his anger was not directed against whites in general, but against women in particular.

5 Likes
  • Three of his victims were stabbed to death.
  • It’s all the gun’s fault.

Seriously, anti-gun people are as impossible to talk to as climate change deniers…

2 Likes

“Do yourself a favor and do not watch it, your life will be better for it.”

…And then you just go ahead and quote all of the most horrible bits. Make up your mind!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this Margaret Atwood quote. It really sums up the different threats perceived by men and women from the other sex.

6 Likes

I’ve determined not to watch any of the videos or read any of his writing for the very reason I don’t need to hear or know his shit. A bit of restraint in exposure to this type of thing can be a good thing.

5 Likes