Seven-foot crocodile swimming in Ohio creek near kids' church group

They could have gone swimming and found out which of the children was most deserving of god’s protection.

17 Likes

There’s the effluent stream from the Heinz plant in Fremont…

13 Likes

Those poor kids, with adults teaching them that you can twist anything that happens to match your magic belief system.

15 Likes

Damn, they escape the crocodile and run straight into the gnashing maw of religion. I know which one i’d take my chances with and i’m no irwin.

15 Likes

That’s much more better Deutsch!

3 Likes

“Thank you God for protecting us from the crocodile You sent to terrorize us!”

This seems to happen every few years up north.

4 Likes

Too far. But something leaking in Dayton, I’d believe.

2 Likes

Our winters do a very good job of keeping out things like gators and crocs.

No large bodies of salt water, but brine seeps lead to some smaller saltwater springs and pools.

2 Likes

Saltwater crocodiles generally spend the tropical wet season in freshwater swamps and rivers, moving downstream to estuaries in the dry season, and sometimes travelling far out to sea. Crocodiles compete fiercely with each other for territory, with dominant males in particular occupying the most eligible stretches of freshwater creeks and streams. Junior crocodiles are thus forced into the more marginal river systems and sometimes into the ocean. This explains the large distribution of the animal (ranging from the east coast of India to northern Australia), as well as its being found in the odd places on occasion (such as the Sea of Japan). Like all crocodiles, they can survive for prolonged periods in only warm temperatures, and crocodiles seasonally vacate parts of Australia if cold spells hit.[72]

1 Like

A friend of mind from near Memphis was fishing on in a river on his property. Sort of a wide, slow moving body of water. He saw a log floating his way … against the current. So he took out his .45 and shot at it. It swam away.

After calling it in, Fish and Game came and captured it. A 10 ft alligator. Seems years before someone is Dept of Agriculture or something had a great idea to dump a bunch of gators around the area to deal with some pest problem. The plan was for them to feast until winter came and killed them off. But apparently this one found the heat exchanger outflow of a power plant and survived many cold winters.

Moral of the story: don’t ban handguns. You never know when you might be fishing and a gator tries to get you.

1 Like

Or, the lesson is, “don’t plant one invasive species to get rid of another invasive species…”

14 Likes

I wondered if they planned on using that creek for baptisms…:thinking:

4 Likes

Especially when the invader you implant is the most successful and versatile large animal in the world.

7 Likes

“… or at least plan ahead for the silver-haired gorillas”

3 Likes
5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve never heard a less compelling reason to not ban handguns. To stop freak gators living in the power plant outflow isn’t a justifiable use case to warrant the increased risk of carrying a .45 fishing.

I’d also point out, that the person in the story shot at a target they had not yet properly identified, in a place where it wouldn’t and shouldn’t have been what it was, it was more likely to be someones chocolate lab swimming in that location than a gator. also shooting at it didn’t stop it, it was later captured.

I’m taking a bit of a different moral from this story…people with guns will shoot at whatever they are afraid of and ask questions later.

16 Likes

Having been a preacher’s kid, I can say that I have been baptized in the river (I recovered, and am now atheist), and that I’m pretty salty, too. Yikes! :fearful:

8 Likes

Mmm, brined church kid

7 Likes

hmmmm…“intellectual veal” made into pastrami. :wink:
…please tell me the first one was named reuben.

4 Likes

And the unchomped kids could still thank God for protecting them, so all bases are covered.

7 Likes