“Sex and the College Girl” is a fascinating read 65 years later

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/01/sex-and-the-college-girl-is-a-fascinating-read-65-years-later.html

1 Like

Moi8Rpr

Britney Spears What GIF

While some assholes are clearly trying to drag us back to the 19th century for women’s rights, we are miles away from where we were in terms of legal equity. Women in 1959 couldn’t easily divorce, have their own bank account if married or a credit card, so no financial independence for married women. Coverture laws were on the books in some states until the 1960s!!!

9 Likes

Holy shitballs. From that page I learned that I was alive in a state where if a woman bought a house and the deed was in her name, her husband could legally sell or mortgage it without even telling her. :exploding_head:

In 1979, Louisiana became the last of the states of the U.S. to have its Head and Master law struck down. An appeal made it to the Supreme Court of the United States in 1980, and in the following year the high court’s decision in Kirchberg v. Feenstra effectively declared the practice of male-rule in marriage unconstitutional, generally favoring instead a co-administration model.

6 Likes

Right? It’s enraging, isn’t it… All our hard won rights feel so fragile (not just along the lines of gender, either, but all of them)… :sob:

6 Likes

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 Like

yup

1 Like

Congratulations, welcome to existentialism.

I feel like that last paragraph could have been written by Herzog, if she had thrown in a phrase about an uncaring universe.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.