Sexually transmitted diseases surge for 4th year in a row: CDC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/sexually-transmitted-diseases.html

Yikes; thank goodness for being so ‘antisocial’ these last few years*…

*And for still getting tested regularly, regardless.

14 Likes

I’m sure that abstinence-only “sex ed” that the Xtianists push played a part, too.

12 Likes

This could be in part a result of PrEP among gay men. It used to be when you met someone online for a hook up, using a condom was not a deal breaker for most guys. Now what I hear is it’s more common for a guy to decline if you insist on being safe.

For years it was hammered into us that, as a gay man HIV is your biggest risk. Now that fear of HIV is taken away, most guys forget that there’s still a lot of nasty stuff out there you don’t want to get.

6 Likes

Any excuse to post this one…

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure gonorrhea is right on the edge of becoming untreatable; last year or the year before, I read an article about so-called “super” versions of it popping up in south america.

Wear those dong bags, kids.

8 Likes

Weren’t we hearing something like this, focused on the elderly? What is the age distribution of new cases?

1 Like

We think there is a direct correlation between the increase in the number of STDs" and the lack of federal funding increases.

Although there might be benefits of more money as the article said, or better sex ed courses, as @gracchus argued, if I had to bet, I’d lay my money on Tinder and its kin being the biggest driver of this. More sex with more people == more STDs.

4 Likes

can’t afford to go to doctor, keep spreading…?

2 Likes

With barrier methods of protection being about 99% effective, it would take a huge increase in both intercourse frequency and # of partners for it to lead to these numbers. Anti-condom crusaders really should bear much of the blame for this.

8 Likes

We have also had a crackdown on prophylactic sources in recent years on top of regression in education and ease of finding casual sex partners. I remember reading a while back about a surge in oral-based STIs, because even if people were good about using a condom in intercourse they tended not to for casual oral encounters - fair warning this is based on memory.

7 Likes

Swipe left!

2 Likes

Hairy balls? I’ve got that forever it seems. Damn!

3 Likes

Well, don’t have to worry about alcohol killing me, or getting an STD.

And since I don’t have a pet, I won’t have to worry about them eating my corpse when I die alone and no one notices.

This is what winning looks like! Everything is coming up Milhouse!

7 Likes

Pence’s daughters?

1 Like

In most urban centers in the US there are clinics that offer free STD checks to people who can’t afford to see a doctor.

Anyone sexually active who isn’t monogamous should be getting regularly tested. If they can take the time to make a Tinder profile, they can take the time not to spread preventable diseases.

6 Likes

As an aside I do not see that anyone has blamed Global Warming yet for the increase, so I am going to take a crack at it.

• Longer, warmer spring breaks for college kids
  • A warmer climate means a better growing environment for bacteria
  • The assured destruction of mankind leading to increased nihilism among the general populace
  • Increased temperatures making people more “hot and bothered”
  • More people without AC having casual hookups with people that have AC
  • Florida, something something
4 Likes

So, what you are saying is more margaritas? :wink:

4 Likes

Should that even need to be asked? Wait wrong thread…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.