Sexy Beasts - new Netflix dating show where the contestants wear elaborate makeup and prosthetics

Sexy Beasts and Where to Find Them, not-at-all a Harry Potter knockoff by Chuck Tingle.

7 Likes

If that’s really your attitude, you should only get sex that you have to pay for, beaver boy. Go chew a tree.

3 Likes

Same, The idea of our sub-culture being mined and turned into reality TV disturbs me as well.

Nick

4 Likes

I mean… anthropomorphized animals pre-date furries (Disney, tribal ritual, et al). I am not sure people made up as animals is necessarily furry culture. It looks like they had some other non-animal costumes as well.

YMMV. Who knows their intent.

1 Like

This is true and some of the first anthro art was some of the earliest art. But in the case of this show it’s just feels like Hollywood trying to mine subcultures only making it way more straight and cis and bland. They obviously can do all that but it just seems really weird to see and just vaguely disturbs me. The fandom generally grates against mainstreaming and goes to great lengths to incorporate kink as a defense mechanism. At this point I’m reminded of the time they the masked singer had pup hoods … lol.

(For the record insects, fantasy creatures and many aliens would fall under furry sub culture)

3 Likes

I remember seeing that… and if it had been 5 or so years ago I wouldn’t have realized this was used in kink. I would have just though they were stylized dog masks.

Then again you have music acts, both underground and mainstream, using the trappings of kink too (leather, chains, various straps and harness, etc.). But those elements are used outside of kink in various fashion too. So not everyone wearing a collar is necessarily into BDSM.

I mean, it can. But there a lot of people who enjoy cosplay who might be say the Scarecrow or an alien, not consider themselves furries. Though I do acknowledge there are fantasy furries. Is Bad Dragon mainstream now? I swear I saw a sticker on the back of a car before the pandemic.

Like I don’t consider the Masked Singer to be largely furry centric - although some costumes appear to be more than others. I am sure someone who is in the culture will find where it overlaps way more than someone who is not. But as someone who enjoys cosplay and follows some cosplayers, I usually see things like that as a costume that isn’t necessarily intentionally derivative of furry culture. But then again, who knows, the designer of some of them could be big time furries and living the dream making amazing costumes that take so much time and money.

When it comes to kink etc, I am rather of the opinion the more it creeps into mainstream, the less “weird” and taboo it becomes - along with all the bad things (shaming, guilt, etc) becoming less so.
YMMV.

Like I said way up there, I was sure this was a “Mask Singer/Bachalor” mash up. But evidently the BBC did a show like this years ago, so it may be more IP mining. :confused:

1 Like

In the year or two since Bojack Horseman ended its run, I look back on it like some kind of extended fever dream.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.