SF Bay area: Guy Fawkes Day bonfire, Thursday at Muir Beach

[Read the post]

Dress for the freezing cold of Northern California.

Only because water freezes at 48°F in Northern California.

Whiners.

3 Likes

Tempting, but it’s a bit of a long way to go just to burn Catholics.

But it appears that there’s something going on at the nearby beach in Seattle. At least I won’t have to worry about it being the same temperature as California.

Haven’t been to an organized display in 10 years now. Last time was this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/northamptonshire/4411776.stm

I wonder who they’ll upset in Lewes this year with their effigies?

1 Like

In Canadia, that’s a damned heat wave this time of year. It’s a nice fall day people are grateful to get where I live.

2 Likes

Something in Hetch Hetchy water thins the blood. All of my friends, who were perfectly normal before, within six months of moving to the Bay Area were bundling themselves up in parkas whenever it dipped below 80°.

I went out there for new years eve one year and had a good laugh over the full-length parkas (the kind you see in Minneapolis during the first week of February in a la nina year) on lots of people with the ever-chilly 65 F temperatures. (I was wearing shorts and a hoodie, and was still too warm.) Bloody whimps.

2 Likes

Hope they composted the ashes.

I try not to judge…it happens to everyone. I resisted for over ten years, but after that I found myself shivering in my fleece waiting for the bus in the morning.

Now I’m in Arizona, and deal with weather by never, ever leaving the house.

4 Likes

Please re-read your posts in this thread and let us know how you think you are doing with that. Sure seems like you’ve judged the fine, and frozen, folks of Northern California.

2 Likes

I said I tried, but some challenges are insurmountable.

4 Likes
3 Likes

The bonfire is on Thursday night (per the linked web page). If you show up on Friday November 6th, you won’t have remembered the Fifth of November.

2 Likes

Thank you, Corrected.

Heh. (-:

I’ve lived in both Alaska and Arizona. Now I’m in LA, and I confess it’s sometimes hard not to laugh at people here complaining about the weather.

Now, mind, even when I lived in AZ, I wasn’t one of those who thought a high of “only” 101 F. was a pleasantly warm day, but not really hot. And of course, even on the hottest days, they’d say, “It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.”

I’d tell 'em, dude, when you can get second-degree burns just opening your car door, it’s too damn hot, no matter what the humidity is.

My favorite Angeleno, though, was the guy who climbed out of his car in a shopping-mall parking garage (covered deck, but open at the edges), complaining about how COOOOOoooooold it was - while wearing a lightweight, untucked short-sleeved shirt with a pair of shorts and flip-flops.

In January.

Sometimes, you can’t help but laugh. It must have been all the way down to, like, 62 degrees that day. (-:

4 Likes

Guy Fawkes Day? What is that then?

It’s legit.

1 Like

That’s Guy Fawkes Night. What’s this day business?

Sorry, forgot who I’m dealing with.

First line of the linked wiki article above (emphasis mine):

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Firework Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain.

2 Likes

Someone needs to up date that to say:

also known incorrectly as Guy Fawkes Day

then

Cracker Night! (Okay you Americans might attach a different meaning to that)

Ahh the good old days where kids could buy explosives and destroy the neighbours letter box and terrify small animals.

I know every year they’d be a few kids blinded or horribly burnt, but damn it was fun.

1 Like