General Summer Holiday Thread

… should have started with May Day but whatever

1 Like

Conveniently, this year the Midsummer’s Eve that is always on the 23rd and the Midsummer’s Eve that is always on a Friday night are the same :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

5 Likes

Was just thinking that this morning. I should be out partying by a bonfire all night to see the night through without sleep as tradition demands but I’m old and lazy.

Enjoy St John’s Eve folks. Please some of you go party all night to make up for me. You’ll be keeping tradition alive, doing your duty, all that.

4 Likes

@robertmckenna

Enjoy St John’s Eve folks.

When I was a kid we were not allowed in the lake until after St. John’s day, good Catholics we were.

Last night was the first fireworks show of the season so I dusted off the old dslr and went down to a nearby park on that lake.

8 Likes

Most of the province of Quebec will be partying up a storm tonight and tomorrow. It’s rather a big deal here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This means of course that we are only 100 days away from the start of the spooky month.

2 Likes

Happy Canada Day to all our beloved Canucks! And some Canuckleheads!

7 Likes

Soooooo, when is the earliest i can start drinking over 4th of July weekend?

3 Likes

May 1st.

7 Likes

It looks like the big 4th fireworks in Seattle- where I am temporarily- will be right off my balcony in Gas Works Park. They supposedly get 50,000 people. Sit back in my lounge chair & enjoy a cold beverage. Sweet!

4 Likes

The Park Board is citing the cost of fireworks, and police staffing shortage.

As soon as you have your system of tubes in place, to keep the bottle filled :wink:

3 Likes

Yesterday?

Even better!

4 Likes

… technically April 30th at sundown :beer:

2 Likes

Do my fellow USians have anything special, or typical rituals, that you always do on the 4th of July weekend?

Mine is that I launder my winter coats and put them away. Now, that might seem funny, as it’s already July, but you have to remember that it can still snow in May in Minnesota. Sure, I could have laundered and put them away any time last month, but the July 4 weekend is almost always the time I get around to doing it.

Except for the loud bangs of random people shooting off fireworks at ridiculously random times, my neighborhood in Minneapolis gets really quiet on holiday weekends, and especially so over the 4th. It’s traditional to go “up north” to one’s family cabin. Those of us who don’t even own a house, much less a cabin, can stay here and enjoy the feeling of emptiness in the neighborhood.

5 Likes

It’s just another day in Japan, but there’s no better day to watch Jeff Goldblum hack an alien mothership with a Mac.

3 Likes

Happy American Canada Day to all USian mutants. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

only 59 percent of people gave the correct answer — “The signing of the Declaration of Independence.”

Well AksHuaLLy it was ratified on 4 July 1776. Only a couple of people signed it on that day. Most of the signatures didn’t happen for another month or so.

I will continue to celebrate independence day on 12 May, the date in 1784 when the treaty of paris went into effect making USA an independent nation. I guess I just enjoy celebrating alone.

7 Likes

Why not both?

6 Likes

“ Eating superstar Joey “Jaws” Chestnut shook off a rain delay and gobbled his way to another win at Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest, downing 62 franks and buns in 10 minutes.

Chestnut out ate runner-up Geoffrey Esper and the rest of an international field of 15 competitive eaters by double digits to clinch his 16th title”

Now that’s patriotic!