Share more of your unpopular music opinions!

clutching pearls, must sit down :scream:

3 Likes

Bands/musicians that I’ve been told at various times I really must enjoy, but generally don’t:
• The Doors
• Nirvana (except for the beautiful Unplugged concert)
• Metallica
• John Lennon as a solo artist
• Coltrane
• Miles Davis
• Pixies
• The Clash

5 Likes

Bands/musicians that I’ve listened to mostly because I was with a cute girl who seemed to like it:
• The Doors
• Nirvana (including the beautiful Unplugged concert)
• Metallica
• John Lennon as a solo artist
• Coltrane
• Miles Davis
• Pixies
• The Clash

7 Likes

You are dead to me… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Digilogue are twice as good as they have two drummers?

Pink Floyd was somewhat more interesting before Syd Barrett got canned (but only of moderate interest even then).

1 Like

My intro to Miles Davis was Bitches Brew, and I forget my attempts at Coltrane, but they were atonal and unenjoyable. I would dearly love to love them, do you have recommendations as to what to start with?

Oh well yeah Bitches Brew can be a bit much. I totes love it but I will also cop to that one not being everyone’s sort of thing.
Start with Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain and Birth Of The Cool for Miles
And for Coltrane, Giant Steps or Blue Train.

8 Likes

Afro Blue Impressions. Actually, pretty much anything by the classic quartet of the early '60s. Band was McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones - hard to go wrong with that.

4 Likes

Buddy Holly was seriously underrated as a subversive and nigh “original” punk rocker!!

7 Likes

I am a shameless Beatles fan and Lennon was probably my favorite Beatle (just speaking artistically - I’m well aware that he had a reputation as quite the asshole).

That said, I completely agree with you. His solo work largely just never captured the magic of his work with Paul for me. I mean yeah he had had few good songs but much of it just never did much for me.

While we are on the subject of Lennon, Imagine is just a bunch of self important tripe.

2 Likes

Bob Marley is overrated

4 Likes

But How Do You Sleep? is a pretty neat “fuck you” to Paul.

Same here. I was brought up on a steady diet of Beatles and grew up to be a huge fan; while I have all of the Lennon solo stuff, and love several of his songs dearly, most of it is just mediocre compared to what the rest of the group were doing. For as terrific as he was in the group, Ringo and George’s solo stuff blew his away. All Things Must Pass and Ringo are both masterpieces.

Yoko Ono’s music is more interesting and enjoyable than that of the Beatles.

6 Likes

I think we just hit peak unpopular musical opinion.

20 Likes

Yup. That one wins the thread. :smile:

10 Likes

he’s good enough, enjoyable, even; but yes, hugely overrated.

mine: Tupac is overrated.

sort of the same idea (although I like Bob way more than 'Pac, personally.) people who don’t actually listen to much/any rap or reggae just latch on to them because they’re accessible and their place in the pantheon is not in dispute.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion: I’d rather talk up stuff other people don’t already like, than talk down popular stuff that I don’t get. The former leads to more discovery and less argumentation.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree, mo4r Warren Zevon.

1 Like