Share more of your unpopular music opinions!

Speaking of Buddy Holly:

Anyone else remember finding this on their Windows 95 CD?

6 Likes

Donā€™t I know it. I used to hang out with a lot of fulltime stoners. Iā€™ve heard enough Marley to be completely sick of him for the rest of my life.

Not a bad musician, but Iā€™m done with his music.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. The Windows 95 CD had all kinds of cool multimedia extras on it.

1 Like

I was going to suggest the album with Johnny Hartman.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a pretty big fan of Aphex Twin. In a previous thread someone threw up an infographic about how to buy your very own tank, and it included Aphex Twin as a ā€œFamous Tank Ownerā€. His tank mostly is just a lawn decoration at his parents house though. With occasional tooling around Cornwall.

One of my favorite tracks, Girl/Boy Song:

1 Like

Just found a live cover of Girl/Boy Song. While Iā€™m not impressed with the bass and sax playerā€™s preoccupation futzing with their pedals, the drummer blew my away:

Bugger that. Bring the bass forwards; they work brilliantly when they escape the rhythm ghetto. As evidence:

Or for some rhythm-but-not-hidden:

2 Likes

Excellent album to begin exploring either artist with.

1 Like

After that uh, deeply unpopular opinion, I agree with funruly, we should move to talking up good stuff that isnā€™t popular, rather than fermenting anger.

I recently discovered and fell in love with Nash the Slash, an eccentric one-man-band who sings and plays electric violin (and keyboards and drums and everything else) with his head wrapped in medical tape like the Invisible Man. Gary Numan once fired his whole backing band and hired Nash to replace all of them on tour.

3 Likes

After a year in a college dorm and a few months rushing a fraternity in college, I heard enough Bob Marley to last me the rest of my life.

6 Likes

Dunno. Sometimes taking the piss out of an ā€œartisteā€ is funā€¦

Nash died almost 2 years ago (during the spring of '14), unfortunately. He was a founding (and on-again/off-again) member of FM along with Cameron Hawkins, from whence *Phasers on Stun". Hereā€™s Phasers from the earliest recorded FM performance (on TV Ontario), when the band was still a duo (they picked up Martin Deller on drums when they came to record their first album), and Nash did not yet wear facial bandagesā€¦

Hey, since Yoko Ono was brought up Iā€™ll pile on a possibly unpopular counterpoint.

Ono is firmly in the ā€œavant gardeā€ camp with her recordings. Some of it is interesting, a lot of it is terrible ā€“ but you know what, thatā€™s ok. Experimental music really isnā€™t known for its pop sensibilities after all.

I mean I absolutely love Negativland and have nearly every album they ever released ā€“ but much of their catalog isnā€™t what I would call ā€œeasy to listen to.ā€

I think a lot of the residual Ono hate is really just as a result of her high profile and the conspiracy nuts frothing over how ā€œshe broke up the Beatlesā€ (news flash: the Beatles broke up the Beatles ā€“ they would have certainly imploded without her). She does her own thing, and you can take it or leave it. She seems like a pretty awesome person that Iā€™d happily hang out with (as long as I get to pick the jams :slightly_smiling:)

8 Likes

A Love Supreme flew over my head (and heart), no matter how many times I tried to listen to it. And I say this as someone who loves the A-side of Milesā€™ On The Corner.

3 Likes

I own several Ono albums and can definitely dig her on an avant garde level. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed her visual/conceptual art when I saw a gallery of it a few years back, and have respect for what sheā€™s done as a solo artist. Her embrace of the club scene was brilliant and sheā€™s been a huge inspiration for a lot of female artists since the 60s.

But I think claiming her music is ā€˜more enjoyableā€™ than the entire Beatles catalog is just looking for trouble :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed! Hereā€™s my favorite evidence:

Ambiguously popular opinion: I love instrumentals.

No, Iā€™m not talking about the sort of instrumental music where limited vocals are expected (electronica, classical, etc.). It used to be a common thing (less common now, I think) that conventional rock/pop vocal bands would occasionally sneak a pure instrumental track onto a B-side.

Like this:

Or this:

They tend to be one of the few places you find good use of the lower register of an electric guitar; thatā€™s a large part of what I like about them.

1 Like

Sometimes even A sides:

Iā€™m a drummer. IMHO I would expand this to say that itā€™s the drums/bass combo that makes the band. When the drummer and bassist lock in, itā€™s magical. If theyā€™re not locked in it can be tough. A solid drummer is still absolutely critical but itā€™s the locked drums+bass that really makes the magic happen. YMMV.

3 Likes

Overrated or overplayed. Canā€™t tell but regardless I am not super interested anymore.

I will say the very old Bob Marley stuff - maybe because itā€™s not so overplayed - is more interesting to me.

I donā€™t get why anyone likes Bruce Springsteen or Billy Joel.

4 Likes