Share more of your unpopular music opinions!

If we did, I don’t think it was me!

1 Like

I luuuurved The Box. Haven’t heard it in years. (I wonder if I can find a vinyl pressing)

1 Like

I’ve never met anyone who loves Mark Lanegan’s stuff near as much as I do.

2 Likes

Yeah, I kinda like easy-listening instrumental music too…

Seeing Vernon Reid here reminds me that Living Coloür has got to be the most underrated rock band in the USA.

There’s also the film “Six String Samurai”, which takes place in the last free state of the US, Nevada, after defeat by the Soviet Union. After Elvis’ death, Buddy Holly takes over to protect people and repel invaders in the post-apocalypic wasteland. I haven’t seen it yet, but I have been meaning to.

I expect that they have taken some stylistic liberties!

5 Likes

I’m going to have to see that. Right now.

2 Likes

least controversial assertion in this thread. their live show was astounding.

1 Like

See this movie… Even MrsTobinL liked this and she is way way way pickier about the quality of cinema she watches.

1 Like

Holy jehosephat, I’d never heard of Spectrum Road. What a freakin lineup.

I really, really love Andre Rieu.

Hehehe! Yup. A Tony Williams Lifetime tribute band… that just happened to have one of the original members of Lifetime in it (Jack Bruce).

Edit: There is a concert video of Spectrum Road on YouTube with another member of the original Lifetime as a guest, that being John McLaughlin. (<sigh> He’s the last one still living. Tony Williams and Larry Young died quite a while ago, and Jack died a little over a year ago. The Mighty of my youth are starting to drop like flies.)

1 Like

Oh yes, love Lanegan. OK with Dulli, very good with Campbell, excellent solo stuff.

1 Like

He has one of my favorite voices in music these days, and I’m always happy when his rumble comes over the speakers. I really enjoyed a lot of what he did with Soulsavers a few years back.

1 Like

They are firmly within the category of Painfully Boring Alt-Crossover.

I don’t hate myself enough to even listen to one entire song of theirs.

Just as well. They play well, and Margo Timmins has an excellent voice when she finally decides to belt one out. However, I was sort of obliged to take in a concert of theirs once, as part of my job as regional distribution manager for what was at that time Canada’s largest record chain (long defunct now): I have never had so much difficulty staying awake during a concert.

I mean, I used to have season tickets to the Société de la musique contemporaine du Québec, and I’d find myself nodding off occasionally during some of the more doctrinaire New Music pieces, but I could generally count on the following piece to be interesting. Not so for Cowboy Junkies - it was a long concert with a constant drip, drip, drip of slow, melancholy songs and wispy vocals (two - count 'em - two rockers in the entire set!).

1 Like

I’ve been to a bunch of concerts by Cincinnati favorites Over the Rhine, who are also part-time members of Cowboy Junkies and have frequently toured with them, and they used to put on a barnburning hell of a show, switching between rockers, sea chanties, ballads, lounge numbers, and jazz standards effortlessly. These days it’s pretty much all melancholy piano tunes.

Well, that kind of concert has been pretty much a Cowboy Junkies signature since the start. That concert I caught was more than 20 years in the past (late '80s, iirc).

Where was Living Coloür when I needed them?

“Cory, Vernon, Muzz, Will, got an emergency call here from Ottawa! Got a concert tanking badly, needs revivification! Can you guys get there pronto?”

2 Likes

I worked for the stadiums at my uni on occasion on the “tech crew” while I was there. The concert I had the hardest time staying awake for was Kiss. Probably because I was assigned back stage security that show, and there’s a lot of boring sitting and waiting for pretty much nothing to happen. Neil Diamond would’ve taken the crown, but I was ushering and running the staff elevator (ie - on my feet and moving a lot) for that one.

1 Like

That’s understandable, then. I had nothing else I was there for (at least during the concert) than to listen to the music. I could have gone backstage afterwards. I chose not to - Margo was really cute back then, but I would have felt awkward trying to avoid commenting on a concert that bored me to tears.

1 Like

I love john Coltrane, love him, two of the most played songs to my children in bed at night on the guitar are favourite things and chim chim cherree in the hope that they would be predisposed to Coltrane as toddlers. I messed a tiny bit with the harmony.

Not an unpopular opinion. But.

I think I love Alice Coltrane more.

2 Likes