Share more of your unpopular music opinions!

Some of the favorite books I read to the kid when he was still tiny were from Chris Raschka… He has a few that are honest to goodness meant to be read along to the music.
John Coltrane’s Giant Steps, Mysterious Thelonious, and Charlie Parker Played Be-Bop.

2 Likes

Oh my! They look fine. Mine are five and eight now, have to buy them for me so!

Hard to get anything hey both like at the same time (they both dig the Hilda books right now, the elder got them a while back and still enjoys them) and both are currently enjoying a local series - the nightmare club. Horror is big with them. This one they particularly love, and they are made for reading out loud. (Disclosure: I was given some by the publisher as a present a while ago including this. I’m disclosing that to make me seem like the kind of person that publishers give books to normally in order to influence tastes. But the books work and the elder brings them into school to read during state mandated and funded religion classes)

Just as all marines are riflemen so all arkestra members are percussionists…

3 Likes

Okay, another one: I don’t like Holly Herndon’s Platform. I understand this is apostasy in the electronic music world, but it really does nothing for me.

bringing up the easy listening again cause it was coming up on shuffle play this week in the car… have you listened to any Shibuya Kei? Japanese lounge pop that is very influenced by that era.

also a somewhat recent serendipitous find in the electronica section at the library for me Chris Joss

4 Likes

I’m an electronic music fan, and I didn’t dig it either. Interesting experiments but not enjoyable for me to listen to. If I want glitchy-weird electronic stuff like that, I’ll go for Amon Tobin.

1 Like

Fantastic Plastic Machine is great. He does a great bossa-esque cover of Joe Jackson’s “Steppin Out”. I like the original, but I actually like the cover even more.

1 Like

I’ve had a copy of this movie for at least 8 years. Never have watched it.

Well now you have something to do this evening…
And music by one of my favorite party bands The Red Elvises… why have you not watched this yet?

Combine Steppin’ Out with the Divinyls’ Boys in Town and you’ve got the autobiographical soundtrack of the 1990’s for me.

If you’re heading to a Cowboy Junkies gig wth dancing plans, you’ve chosen the wrong band.

The name is a clue.

1 Like

I haven’t headed to a Cowboy Junkies gig since that one, over 20 years ago, and I went to that one quite willing to just sit and listen. There is such a thing as taking a shtick too far, however.

Too much blood in your heroinstream.

Or, y’know, YMMV. Each to their own.

1 Like

I watched it a few nights ago. Well that was… different. Not really what I was expecting. A little light on clever goofiness and pretty heavy on cliched fighting. Didn’t think there was much there past the brilliantly entertaining premise. YMMV.

1 Like

I do like Shibuya Kei, at least what I’ve heard. Always liked Kahimi Karie.

2 Likes

It’s a fairy tale about rock and roll vs. heavy metal.

Pizzicato Five played in the studio on repeat during many very late nights throughout my last year of design school. I’m still a fan but my love for them is tinged with memories of exhaustion.

3 Likes

Black Sabbath + surf rock = Joy Division

4 Likes

Speak for yourself, Black Sabbath is my surf rock.

2 Likes

I’m listening to as many Flipper’s Guitar tracks as I can get my hands on. Flipper’s Guitar was a Japanese pop duo: one went on to mastermind Pizzicato Five, the other became Cornelius with a lively music career of his own.

2 Likes