Share your unpopular music opinions

The Hurdy Gurdy is the best instrument ever.

9 Likes

Coldplay sound like they only have one song that they keep repeating.

11 Likes

I think “catchy and nice” is what makes most music terrible!

What are you hoping to be convinced of? It is usually a headscratcher for me when I hear about “convincing” in an artistic context.

I completely agree. Taking it further, I think it’s better to run several different tempi simultaneously, as well as changing those over time. Most music tends to be oddly temporally static. Especially musics which are supposedly rhythm-based, such as electronica and so-called dance music.

1 Like

I think it’s because most lyricists just use it as a reason to whinge and complain.

5 Likes

I was equally surprised when discovered this. Does explain how they were able to release several albums, though.

1 Like

That isn’t fair criticism. At least half of their album overs have other color schemes. BRUTE! is awesome, so it’s ok they use the same illustrator for all but a few albums.

2 Likes

Overall, I don’t have enough <3’s for this comment. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thats just true.

3 Likes

'Twas ever thus. It’s the repetitive rhythms that induce the trance. It’s the harmonies tend to play to the mind.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this is an unpopular opinion, I think a lot of people just really like that song.

6 Likes

Disliking Coldplay is unpopular?

I thought these days admitting you liked them was like admitting you had herpes?

(TBH, they might be okay now, I haven’t listened to any of their music since their second album. It did all get a bit samey but like U2 I got more fed up with the frontman than anything, although the bland music didn’t help)

2 Likes

I had this boss who had to listen to Bob Dylan, John Hiatt, Leonard Cohen, Cat Stevens, etc. all the time, and I started out thinking they were bad. IMHO they’re popular with boorish Boomers who want to seem deep. Ditto for most Pink Floyd; it’s just self-indulgent shoe-gazing stoner philosophy that could have been cleared up by them moving to a country that had sunshine.

The end of their musical career is just awful. Same boss who was mentioned before would have to play “The Long And Winding Road” at full volume, and those old Mirrored Drive Doors G4s were loud enough to drown out all conversation. My God, what a self-indulgent piece of crap.

And on a similar note, I don’t like any Led Zeppelin outside of II and III. Toward the end of their career, they cratered as spectacularly as The Beatles.

1 Like

and @daneel
Is it supposed to be unpopular with the public at large or unpopular with happy mutants?
'Cause I got one for the latter.
I fucken love the Pixies. They’re a lovely clatter and their lyrics are almost Dr Seussian.

3 Likes

That is much of the problem, as I hear it. But not the only one. Even those who don’t complain are still usually using song to add a semantic component for people to relate to. This yields work which seems to have a cohesive instrumental / sonic layer with a separate layer of story or crooning crudely bolted onto it. It is a surprisingly rare thing for artists to have something both worth singing about, and also which effectively uses the voice as an instrument integral to the other sonics.

I disagree with both statements. There isn’t anything about rhythms repeating which requires them to be temporally static or metrically simple. I am not a big fan of harmony either. Most rhythms and harmonies alike are made to be predictable instead of interesting.

Ha! I rest my case :smiley:
…although, to be fair, that wasn’t really music.

1 Like

15 Likes

Radiohead peaked at The Bends.

3 Likes

I like some of Dylan’s protest music, if only the people who grew up listening to it would realize that they are now the ones the songs are complaining about.

10 Likes

I don’t want to talk about “performance theory” which is definitely a thing, but a thing in which I’m not versed or studied, but I’ll offer an explanation by way of example and I’ll see if it clears things up a bit. I’ve mentioned before on this BBS one important thing I learned while anchoring a community radio news show for a little bit: It’s performance, and to perform convincingly you had to “act” like you were reading the news. Something about speaking normally comes across as incredibly unnatural to people listening on the radio. To sound normal, you have to act a little. The same seems to apply in theater, where the old saw is “all acting is overacting” because a convincing performance is often a lot more effort than just doing what you would do when placed in the same situation. At least that’s what it feels like. There’s something very similar in music.where a performance is really more than just hitting all the notes in the right order at the right time. You can hear when an artist misses notes sometimes in live music, but you don’t always care when the performance is good. I’m not sure if the explanation makes sense here, but it’s one of those elusive concepts that is difficult to describe, and the word “convincing” is really just a recycle of a related concept to refer to a concept for which there is no other word.

5 Likes

Counterpoint:

Singing only adds to music when:
a) the singer is telling a story, and
b) the singer is good at singing, acting, and storytelling

So, for musicals, opera, and the really good singers who can actually put their emotions into their voice, singing adds to the music.

For most music on the radio, the singers aren’t particularly talented at singing, acting, or storytelling, which is why it doesn’t add much.