Shazam! is the first DC movie my daughter and I really enjoyed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/25/shazam-is-the-first-dc-movie.html

2 Likes

My hopes are not high on this one. Whatsoever.

1 Like

My wife fell asleep during Wonder Woman, too. I was taken out of the story because I couldn’t figure out how she got her powers. She lived all her life as a normal person, but then wants some shiny object in a castle so she realizes she has the power to jump over a cliff? Because of zeus carving her out of clay or whatever?

Anyway, by far the best Wonder Woman movie is Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. Seriously, if you haven’t seen it, go see it. Go in as a blank slate. Don’t read the synopsis first or anything. It’s terrific.

1 Like

Call him Captain Marvle and make him Canadian , no problems there.

Is Shaq in this as a nod to HIS turn in the suit?

Nice to see ‘Chuck’ on the big screen.

I’ll stop now.

Ah yes, the ol’ mystical Winnebago, and his big hair… I remember watching the show as a kid.

2 Likes

They never use the name Captain Marvel even tho we all pretty much share a name with someone more well known.

Boy, tell me about it.

My son and I watched Shazam this past weekend as well. I went in with low expectations and was glad to see the theater served beer. Was I ever surprised. It’s an excellent movie! Very funny and the acting was great. It’s not going to win an Oscar, and I could care less, but for two hours of good entertainment it was definitely worth it. There will be a sequel with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as the bad guy which I can only hope will be as good.

Take your kids! You’ll be glad you did.

1 Like

I wasn’t a huge comic book reader as a kid or a tween, but I somehow stumbled onto the early 70s vintage reprints of the original Captain Marvel adventures. (Under the name “Shazam!”) They seemed much more approachable than DC and Marvel adventures and read them for a few years.

I wasn’t impressed by the Saturday morning TV show. It was mostly Billy and “Mentor” wandering the country solving problems. Kind of like The Incredible Hulk or the A-Team. As far as I remember, he never tangled with super villains.

There was a pretty decent (to judge from the few episodes I saw) Saturday morning cartoon. It had villains from the TV show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kid_Super_Power_Hour_with_Shazam!

1 Like

I was impressed by the tone of the trailers for this movie, they had just the right amount of humor that I feel is appropriate for what I see as a somewhat campy character. Havn’t seen the movie itself yet, but I have a good feeling about it.

2 Likes

I keep reading reports of people going to see Shazam!, but it is not playing in my area.

I guess there are a whole bunch of sneak previews going on.

It opens next week in the UK. Maybe that’s true in the rest of the English speaking world too.

Ours was “Early Access” and there were 3-4 screenings at our theater. It was also playing at several other local theaters. The whole early access thing felt forced.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.