She-Ra reboot looks great

Street Frogs? I think this cartoon was never shown on television in my country. Did I miss something?

When I was a teenager, the big success was Dungeons and Dragons. If they do a reboot / remake of that, I bet people would complain a lot, not just the so-called men-babies but many of the so-called progressives. To tamper with the affective memory of people is something dangerous.

I would like to see a new version of Robotech or Sawamu for example.

1 Like

This is cool too. No lyrics, just epic guitars and drums.

Or these people

4 Likes

Tactical skirts. A 3.000 years old fashion trend.

3 Likes

Hard to say.

1 Like

OH, I was going to say, interesting introduction of the bike shorts. My kid’s mom would approve.

2 Likes

From the top of my head…

They had merchandise, but the cartoons were not made to sell toys.

4 Likes

Their usual cry is “you’re ruining my childhood”

The irony being, of course, that these same people enjoy twists and perversions of popular media tropes from eras before their childhood. Apparently only the media from their childhood is sacred, and everyone else’s is theirs for the taking?

Edit: I hadn’t really thought about it like this before, but I guess it seems like the end goal with this and so many other things is less to culturally appropriate the things themselves (which they very much want to do because of “manifest destiny” or whatever particular justification fantasy a particular person is operating under) and more to rob power and meaning from the very concept of a person being offended.

Are they thinking that if they throw a tantrum about every thing they possibly can, it will somehow make it so they can go back to saying whatever vile shit they want? It seems sort of far-fetched, but we’re not dealing with people who live or operate within the confines of what is generally agreed upon as “reality.”

6 Likes

No Inspector Gadget?

1 Like

Maybe a version by Wes Anderson…

1 Like

That too. I did say i was remembering from the top of my head.

If you use the term animation loosely you could also include the original Thomas the Tank Engine series with Ringo Starr narrating.

And now I’ve just remembered The Trap Door.

I could be here all day if I carry on like this.

4 Likes

A “sexy” outfit and fighting are things that do not give right when mixed. Kate Beaton illustrated well that issue with these cartoons nsfw

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=398

6 Likes

This Teen Titans Go episode “Classic Titans” makes a fairly compelling case that the current trends in animation - simpler lines, more stylized, etc - make expressive and varied animation a lot easier than it used to be

The whole episode contrasts the worst of old superhero cartoons with current trends. It makes for a one-sided fight, but it’s a fun watch

2 Likes

Japan seems to be doing ok with actually putting effort into their animations

wow, that’s super dismissive of professional animators of multiple continents.

also, why are you bringing One Punch Man into a new She-Ra vs big breasts & nostalgia fight? Do you think that getting the animation team from One Punch Man to do She-Ra was realistically on the table?

I just don’t buy argument that simpler is better, especially coming from Teen Titans Go.

As far as Sheera goes, i’m not crazy about the style, but like i said previously i can live with it if the show is decent.

I liked the Batman by Bruce Timm.

3 Likes

FYI the new DC Universe service will have the first two seasons in HD, and it should come out on Blue ray as well.

1 Like

So I guess some people say the new She-Ra looks like a boy. LOL - wut? I like the new take. Modern, yet has kept basically the same look.

1 Like

Huh, Netflix has season one of the original He-Man and She-Ra cartoons. I always kind of liked that the shows where complimentary, kind of like how Xena was paired with Hercules. Seems odd to reboot She-Ra and not coproduce He-Man.