Sheep outwits cattle grid

[Permalink]

there’s something extremely peaceful, comforting and satisfying about this; i can watch it over and over again.

In Saskatchewan, these are called “Texas gates”. I’ve heard that in Texas they’re called “Saskatchewan gates”. Can a Texan confirm?

Harold.

There was somewhere in the North of England where sheep kept getting past cattle grids. Eventually with the help of a hidden camera it was realised that the sheep were lying on their backs and rolling over.

It appears that sheep are finally evolving intelligence… we are all doomed

[ovine plummeting sound]

From what i’ve witnessed on trips to wales/scotland, sheep seem to re-allocate all intelligence devoted to self-preservation into escaping from their fields :wink:

Hence the many sheep found eating from grass verges with their arse in the middle of the road on blind corners and so on!

I’ve never been so proud of being a sheeple.

I’m an American who can say that Saskatchewan is probably too long a word for most Texans

So, sheep are smarter than cattle or they just have smaller feet?

It looks (s)he is stepping on something just below the cattle grid, rather than the grid itself. Maybe a load of rubbish or dirt has built up beneath it.

uh, not that I ever heard. always called them “cattle guards.”

Few folks where I grew up had even heard the word “Saskatchewan.” I was the geography star of my elementary school, and couldn’t place it on map until after I visited Calgary – and I’m still not sure pronounce it right.

BTW, it’s completely non-interesting that sheep, which were domesticated from a sure-footed mountain herbivores, can cross a cattle guard. Lots of animals can, including a surprising number of cattle.

(why yes – I am Native Texan: Born in San Angelo, lived for a while in San Antonio, mostly grew up in Denton, spent four glorious years at UT Austin, and am not at all happy about last week’s loss to UCLA).

Isn’t that some sort of oriental food?

(my imagined TX response)

Being a city boy, I am not familiar with these, but would that trick work if the ditch was deeper?

Which is why I was skeptical and asked the question in the first place. I figured that, if it was true, some marketer was looking for an exotic name: Saskatchewan would certainly sound exotic to a Texan…

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I think several us, my much younger self included, thought Saskatchewan was another version of this guy

It’s not that “Saskatchewan” it too long to pronounce, it’s that its a waste of time to expend so much breath on some place so inconsequential.

To offend editors everywhere the head should read: “Shear delight for sheep going over in stile.”

(cattle grid = stile) a kind of archaic word but one type is still recognized by most folks – turnstile.

I suspect that sheep, being descendants of mountain dwellers, have better depth perception than cattle.

I don’t know how well they work, but I have seen cattle guards painted on Oregon highways.

Our passive anti-sheep defenses have failed us!