Shep Smith explains hurricanes

Maybe we should have asked Randall Munroe sooner?

Shep Smith, telling it like it is.

They even invented the word Hurricane.

Unfortunately this kind of rhetoric, this denial of reality, is usually made by those unaffected by the reality and aimed at those who are mostly ignorant but not those propagating the underlying ideology.

Well, the Taino did, but CLOSE ENOUGH. Mexico is sending its rapists, drug dealers and storms! The wall just got a thousand times higher!

2 Likes

For awhile now we’ve been telling everyone not to worry because climate change is a hoax. As you’ll see in today’s fact checking clarifications, we were wrong. Woops.

SO, long story short, you’re all gonna die.

1 Like

You’ve never watched American TV?

If we could just get Shep Smith to explain what a vote for Donald Trump means, we might not all die from a nuclear holocaust next year.

3 Likes

Good idea. Let’s see what happens to his career when he says something on FOX that angers donald trump.

It’d be almost as bad for him to speak the truth as it’d be for everyone if they all voted for trump.

That’s what’s called a perverse incentive, kids.

1 Like

Look at their posting history. They’re only here to support trump. This commenter’s a centipede. Best to stomp on it. Nimbly navigate from my boot, centipede. Can’t do it since you have the brain of an arthropod.

2 Likes

Actually, no. I guess I’ll have to spell it out for you…The United States is an outlier compared to virtually all western democracies, be it gun violence, per capita incarceration, extreme religiosity, belief in conspiracy theories, K-12 education levels, etc. etc. If this election cycle isn’t proof of how messed up your country is I don’t know what is…hey but as long as y’all keep living in denial I’m sure it’ll work out fine…

1 Like

But voting is the only way to change things, right? Use the broken system to fix the broken system? Reward the people who broke the system by keeping them around?

I’m not talking about “living in denial”, you are, oddly enough. My point isn’t that the US doesn’t have heavy gun violence, racial issues, a lower-than-average education system, or other issues. It’s that somehow people like yourself think that your country – whatever it may be – is somehow far grander, without any basis for criticism. That’s bonkers. Does America have a caste system? Is America being run by people who feel the best way to deal with immigrants is to leave the EU and close its borders? Is America’s currency being degraded by its dictatorship?

I’m hoping you fall off your high horse soon. Not knowing how far the ground is beneath you is a lousy way to live.

Being from Canada I can say categorically that the media here, despite its’ many flaws, is nowhere near the level of wacky that it is south of 49’. I would be willing to bet this goes for most if not all of democratic Europe, where the confusion between hard news and entertainment is nothing like what it is in the United States. Unless you have been living in a cave for the last twenty years, it is pretty clear that the news media dumbing-down, beginning with CNN’s 24 hours ‘coverage’ and culminating at the partisan spectacle of Fox News vs. MSNBC etc. has contributed directly to the sorry state of the American politic, be it gun rights, mass shootings, school lunches, you name it. By poisoning the well, the American media is clearly responsible for the rise of Trump. What could possibly get wackier than that? You stated that you could “guarantee that no matter what country you’re judging America from, there’s been similarly wacky stuff on your local news at one point or another. Or, gosh, even wackier!” High horse you say? Seriously? Only in bubbleAmerica would anyone say that today; where else in the civilized world would you find the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh? (millionaires all!) ad nauseum…pun intended…We in the rest of the democratic world have held our tongue long enough. Get your shit together America! We’re not holding you to any higher standard than our own!

That is not how it is supposed to work in a democracy. The electorate’s job is to punish those who break faith with the voters, and give a chance to those better qualified to represent them. Of course, this relies on an engaged and informed electorate, who actually turn out to vote…Having more than two political parties to choose from would go a long way to improve things obviously. This election will be the real (and final?) test of American democracy; will the partisan and venal cowardice of Ryan, McConnell, McCain etc. be punished? Will the support from younger Americans garnered by Senators Sanders and Warren have any effect on Democratic Party policy going forward? Will more than 60% of eligible voters turn out on election day? Or is Oligarchy here to stay…

Yeah, but most of those places don’t have the bomb.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.