Watch a pedestrian just miss getting crushed by a collapsing building

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/12/watch-a-pedestrian-just-miss-g.html

4 Likes

Sure hope that guy was strolling down to the convenience store for a lottery ticket, because he’s super lucky that day.

11 Likes

But was it a “doomed” collapsing building? Did the Fates intervene? I want a consistent BB editorial response to these things lol. (Not making fun of the plane crash, which is horrific and a tragedy.)

2 Likes

Nah, he just spent this decade’s reserves of good luck. :wink:

9 Likes

It’s bad enough as it is, but “bricks and rubble falling off a building” is not the same as “building collapses”.

9 Likes

I’d be satisfied with “building partially collapsing.”

6 Likes

Why was the video uploader filming the building in the first place. Did they know it was going to collapse?

7 Likes

CCTV.

8 Likes

24 Likes

The headline is “collapsing” and it is. Just not all at once :wink:

4 Likes

nCPiXZoHcMtkejHi1eJEg5ji7jZDl-2IOjaoI6YbN60

11 Likes

Looks like a phone cam shot through a window, you can see the window frame at the begining also CCTV camera’s don’t move like that.

2 Likes

CCTV footage shows the man walking past the building in Stoke Newington High Street before a mass of bricks and rubble crashed to the ground seconds later.

5 Likes

Still looks like it was recorded via a phone from a window. Maybe whoever wrote the initial story assumed it was from a CCTV camera.

4 Likes

This was not caused by high winds. It was caused by poor/non-existant maintenance. Saying it was caused by high winds is akin to saying a man with AIDS in the early 80s was killed by pneumonia.

6 Likes

I was thinking that myself… how would the wind have gotten behind the wall to move it in the first place.

1 Like

We try to avoid Prospect Park following a wind storm, branches always seem to be coming down in their wake for days after. My mother-in-law and the family dog both narrowly avoided being creamed when a full HALF a large deciduous tree sheared off and came crashing down. Luckily it had announced its intentions with a resounding CRACK before falling. We went back after the crews had cleaned up a bit and took a segment of the 12" (30cm) diameter “branch” that fell, and gave it to her. She uses it as a stool to this day.

@marcus_mcmullan
Quite often news organizations will zoom and pan in a CCTV video, which accounts for horizontal movement. The “handheld” jitter is probably the natural jitter of an outside camera in high winds, multiplied by the zoom.

7 Likes

I was thinking same thing, no way that’s a CCTV, the way it moves but then I noticed, top left looks like video info. I think it’s a case of using phone to record from a monitor, hence the shaky movement.

If not then someone was waiting for that to happen!

3 Likes

High enough winds to rip bricks from a building, yet casual man casually walks down sidewalk with zero reactions to wind.

6 Likes

if i were him, i’d be strolling to the nearest store to buy some new underwear.

9 Likes