Watch: pedestrian nonchalantly continues through rubble after wall collapses in street right by him

Originally published at: Watch: pedestrian nonchalantly continues through rubble after wall collapses in street right by him | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Wind looks strong, but wow is that some crap brickwork.

10 Likes

The word ‘nonchalantly’ is a pretty nonchalant description for this level of cool, if you ask me.

12 Likes
28 Likes

You beat me to it - I was about to return to my post and edit to muse whether this guy was a reincarnation of the great Buster Keaton.

8 Likes

The wretched quality of recently-built housing in England. . .

This reminds me of the German band from the 80s “Einstürzende Neubauten”, whose name means “collapsing new buildings”.

Edited to correct misspelling. (Thanks, @Doctor_Faustus!)

8 Likes

It looks a bit boxy for a Fiesta, and the headlights don’t extend on the side as much as usual.

1 Like

The roof trusses are a dead giveaway that it’s not an old building.

4 Likes

What amazes me is that I can’t see any way that wall was connected to the structure of the building. How…what… off course it fell over!!!

4 Likes

Vauxhall, maybe.

1 Like

Hmmm. a UK metaphor perchance. (from the UK)

3 Likes

Retched quality indeed. Looks like this is a non-structural brick veneer, which is typical in construction today. It appears that the part in the gable has no backing structure. Typically, you would need a structural wall behind the brick and the brick would be tied to the wall with brick ties. In the gable there is only roof trusses there should be a gable-end truss with sheathing which would look more like a wall.

4 Likes
7 Likes

mmmm, i do love me some Einsturzende!

3 Likes

Who doesn’t?!?

3 Likes

The equivalent in the USA is a cement stucco wall, with only Sytrofoam backing and chicken wire for support. They started doing that about 40 years ago, and it’s still common. At least they connect the chicken wire to studs to give it some anchorage.

6 Likes

Well, now it looks a bit bricky.

11 Likes

Perhaps we shouldn’t ask what the rest of his day was like?

2 Likes

Non-structural brick veneers with a wood-frame backing structure are the standard for most brick buildings in the US, too. The problem in this case is that they did not continue the structural wall up into the gable. Single-width brick walls are typically not structural by themselves, as we can see.

2 Likes

Why were they filming?

2 Likes