Sheriff on suspect who killed 8 women: "yesterday was a really bad day for him"

Originally published at: Sheriff on suspect who killed 8 women: "yesterday was a really bad day for him" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

There is only one human being referenced in this quote: the (white male) murderer. The other human beings are hidden behind “these locations”, “these places”, and “a temptation.” It is hard not to suspect that Captain Baker doesn’t recognize the basic humanity of all people

119 Likes

Murderer equates Asian massage parlors with prostitution, and sheriff doesn’t consider it a racist attack. Sounds like at least two white supremacists at work in this story.

95 Likes

da fuq kind of day did the eight dead people have for god’s sake?

98 Likes

As I said in the earlier topic:

Also, just to keep us from spinning our wheels again, this police attitude is not a “Southern problem” but an American problem.

56 Likes

Fuck you, sheriff fuckface

55 Likes

Incredible how assholes like this LEO manage to make everything about this story worse…

38 Likes

Holy Apologizing for the Perpetrator Batman!!

29 Likes

If you think he was having a bad day, I know of several people who had an even worse one.

39 Likes

A bad day huh? Hey sheriff, step inside.

flying-porta-potties-01

25 Likes

Wait, isn’t that what we come here for?

11 Likes

I don’t agree. His job is ultimately to catch criminals, it makes sense he’d focus on the criminal.

But otherwise when he briefly mentions the victims it was largely to protect them from stigmatization and obscure whether they were employees, customers, or something else. There’s a lot of news organizations that would play up the scandalous nature of the victim’s work, I think he was wise not to feed them details.

The murderer seemed to have equated his troubles with massage parlors specifically, if that’s accurate I don’t see evidence of a racial motive.

I didn’t see read that quote as an attempted defence of the killer but an attempted explanation as to what happened.

I read it as a statement that it wasn’t a premediated attack, the killer was a highly troubled and unstable individual. And yesterday, he either had an extreme mood swing or a significant emotional trauma (having nothing to do with the victims) and he reacted with a killing spree.

I think that’s important and useful information since we know it wasn’t premeditated, he didn’t seem to have been inspired by incels or some other terrorist ideology, he didn’t have a personal beef with any of the victims, etc, etc.

Honestly, explaining someone’s motivation without sounding like you’re defending them is actually really hard to do.

9 Likes

Well, if it’s really hard, maybe they should hire someone with that competency?

15 Likes

What happened is a guy murdered eight people at multiple asian massage parlours because he considered them the problem. That’s not “having a bad day.” That’s committing a horrific crime. He’s absolutely attempting to defend this guy. He could have said things in many different ways. He chose this way that basically excused his actions.

He definitely wouldn’t have said things this way if it were a black guy.

47 Likes

ACAB always

7 Likes

Mostly because if the perpetrator was Black they’d have shot him dead and the victims would be spoken of as warmly as possible.

38 Likes

Pretty much

6 Likes

Could also be that the Sherriff equates these places with prostitution, and that prostitutes are not human in his mind.

12 Likes

If yesterday was a “really bad day” for this mass murderer, then hopefully that was his best day for the next rest of his life.

19 Likes

Also, the fact that he chose to go to asian parlors and then considered the asian women to be the cause of his problems IS indeed a racial component / motive. This guy chose them for his sexual gratification, then he blamed them and murdered them because of it. HE made this racial. His choices had a racial component.

34 Likes