Sheriff's deputy taken to hospital after eating seized drugs he thought was "candy"

Destrying evidence is a felony. He could probably claim plausible deniability, though, since the box was out in the open.

Supposedly, the ‘resident’ was afraid that a break-in had occured.

This doesn’t make sense.
Why would the ‘resident’ call the cops in the first place?,
I’m with @Shuck… this doesn’t pass the broken taillight test.
I bet they wanted to make a warrantless search.

2 Likes

The least incriminating version of this story is someone grossly mishandling evidence, which should require at least termination of somebody. The more likely options pile extra crimes on top of that. At a minimum the person who was facing charges needs to be set free, because the chain of evidence is absolutely shattered.

Also someone needs to offer remedial training to the reporters covering the case. They spent a lot of time stating as fact the police version of events, without attaching any qualifying words (police thought, instead of police say they thought). Blindly repeating police versions of a story is just bad reporting. Police are participants and their words should be treated with the same skepticism we would show for anyone else.

4 Likes

Yeah, if they didn’t set up the whole situation to do a warrantless search themselves, I’m guessing they instead used a legit call to do an illegal search, at best.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.