Should a convicted felon be on the US $500 bill?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/should-a-convicted-felon-be-on-the-us-500-bill.html

5 Likes

How about putting his face on the fake money used by the film industry? That would actually be more accurate; a fake president on fake money.

19 Likes

Isn’t being dead a requirement for putting people on money?

I’m OK with this…

27 Likes

I’m pretty disappointed that it’s been taking way too frickin long to get Tubman on the $20s. In 2015 there was a campaign called “Women on the 20s” that was meant to get a woman on that bill by 2020, in time for the 100th anniversary of women receiving the right to vote. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew officially announced that she would be going on the $20 way back in 2016. No excuse for it taking so long.

Wikipedia says the current plans are to finally debut the new design in 2030. The longer it takes the less meaningful it will be, because cash is being used less and less over time.

16 Likes

If Trump is on the $500, you’ll have to negotiate at length with the government about its value and and the end you’ll be lucky to get $250.

12 Likes

I got tired of waiting, made my own and then I gave friends the tool to make their own, too.

19 Likes

You get one guess which administration decided Jackson was preferable to Tubman and created the delay.

12 Likes

How about FDR instead? His terms and the New Deal established several programs that improve the lives of Americans to this day. As a bonus, that would tick off the GQP.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say it was trump who killed it. Petty asshole he is.

4 Likes

Seems like a complete waste of resources to make plates for bills that no one really uses (though I am sure all those money flashing channels will start to use them).

At any rate, I think we should abandon putting real people on money, and move to Neo-classical designs representing ideas and ideals - like Liberty, Science, Progress, Industry - that sort of thing.

They did this in the late 1800s with the “educational series”.

8 Likes

Trump did everything he could to drag the process out, but we’ve still had four years under Obama (after the initial announcement) and three and a half years under Biden to make the Tubman 20s happen. Somebody isn’t doing their job.

5 Likes

Gosar, you fool! Beloved Leader already is on ALL the bills!

3 Likes

Well obviously he would never go for it but that doesn’t excuse the Biden administration from not pushing for quick action while they have the chance. There’s no fundamental reason why they would need more than a few years to push this through if they were determined to do so.

(eight years under Obama if his administration got started on the process earlier)

7 Likes

The only paper Tr**p should have his face on is toilet paper.

7 Likes

I agree with the general sentiment, but he’s already on the dime.

1 Like

Yeah, since 1873. They’d have to repeal that provision first.

2 Likes

How about establishing a paper currency usable only in prisons and putting Trump’s face on some of those “prison bucks”? Maybe put Nixon’s face on another denomination of those prison bills?

4 Likes

Why are Tchaikovsky and Engels on the 2 dollar silver certificate? :wink:

3 Likes

Please no $500 bills. And we should stop printing the $50 and $100 bills. The larger the denomination, the easier it is for money laundering, bribery, counterfeiting, etc. If you had to carry $100,000 in $20 bills, it would take up 5 times as much space and weigh 5 times as much as if it were in $100s. Why make it easier for crooks? I realize with people like Trump and Gosar that might be the point, of course. .

7 Likes

Which is why euro 500s are no longer issued

12 Likes