Shoulder tattoo of wrong Mars rover

You don’t think Theodore Roosevelt had a unique personality?

Now now, do we know for a fact that Curiosity hasn’t ever sent that message?

I am feeling a bit sad about that wee machine, cold and irretrievably FUBAR.
By way of eulogy:

(with apologies for reposting, but it is a good version)

RIP Mars Spirit, it’s basically the same end for all NASA’s rovers on Mars:

4 Likes

12 Likes

I assume it’s a a sad “in memoriam”, as in; “famous last words” …

2 Likes

I’m sure that there will be acting gigs in their future.

I knew the people who did the dataradio that NASA bought to connect the rover and the base station. Here in the movie I was thinking, “yup right now Bob & Norm’s phones are ringing.”

5 Likes

Oops, wrong words, too

5 Likes

That’s the funniest, best idea I’ve heard in a long time. Hope you don;t mind, but I’m totally doing this from now on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But it’s an easy fix. One line of dialogue. ¹

“] Relaying message …
▌”

or something

Context below² (Should jump to 1:16)

Note¹ : Character Jeff Megall

Note²: Thank You For Smoking , Movie 2005/2006

I can’t stop you, and I wouldn’t want to stop you…

YOU GRANT THE COMMUNITY THE RIGHT TO REUSE YOUR STUFF Further, when you make User Content available on Boing Boing, you grant the world a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License to it. Be mindful of this when you post.

3 Likes

I got the same one only with “number five is alive!”

1 Like

7 Likes

Not sure if you meant it or not, but that design has an astronomical root: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/sa-visual/pop-culture-pulsar-origin-story-of-joy-division-s-unknown-pleasures-album-cover-video/

1 Like

giphy-4
Yup. Hung out with a couple of future physicists back then; couldn’t avoid not knowing…

5 Likes

Looks like someone did an image search for Mars Rover and went with the first thing they found. A tattoo will be with you the rest of your life. Why on earth would you get one based on hasty research and spur of the moment thinking?

Some people think long and hard about what kind of ink they want. They do research, they find or draw the exact design they want, and then they find an artist who they cab trust to draw exactly what they want, without mistakes or screw ups.

Such people seem to be a tiny minority, and everyone else who gets ink does it on the spur of the moment, often under the influence of mind altering substances, or based on hasty and sloppy research (or worse, letting the tattoo artist do the research, with often regrettable results). I really do not understand this approach.

5 Likes

Tradition?

This makes me want to get a picture of rover with the same text

3 Likes

Which group (“some people” or “everyone else”) is going to get tattooed more often?

∴ when you see a random tattoo, which group is that tattoo going to represent?

1 Like

That, and the tattoo artists are keen on the licensing thing to the extent that they will decline to tattoo internal organs conveniently displayed, ‘exact’ directions to artery insertions, etc.

Whereas NASA probably don’t formally care if the new rover rips the old one’s SIM out and starts tweeting space mom jokes.

Rebecca Mensch studied squid anatomy in graduate school at Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, and got a tattoo so that she’d always remember what goes where.

Ok, I know most of us probably wrote a few carefully selected equations or important but easily forgotten facts on our bodies somewhere or other at some time for use in exams but this is a bit much…

1 Like