Shoulder tattoo of wrong Mars rover

will they find a way to resurrect it at some point for another reason

1 Like

Red%20Dwarf_Rimmer_test%20cheat%20gone%20wrong

2 Likes

You won’t think it was such a bad idea, the next time you’re being eaten by a squid.

2 Likes

Just tattoo some solar panels onto it and pretend it never happened!

Apparently its last message was not Radiohead-worthy lyrics and that it was all poetic licence.

Oh well it is a nice tattoo.

That’s ok, that will probably be the other rover’s last words as well.

Though if I were the rover, my last words would be: “Oh my god, aliens!”

1 Like

Quadruple troll! Because that’s not even the right unknown pleasures pulsar graphic. (In which each level is opaque to the next)

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Exactly. I checked that by looking at the shirt I’m wearing, which is an orange and black version of the JD pulsar shirt, but with Japanese writing on it. I’m just waiting for a Japanese person to ask me why I have an ad for Coca-Cola on my shirt.
But I work in radio astronomy, so it’s OK.

2 Likes

*unless you can grok martian

2 Likes

unknownPleasures

I made one with that opaque look in after effects. If I did it again I think I would try Processing.

3 Likes

That 4th level was too subtle for me…

1 Like

I have a buncha tats. My favorite, and most prominent, resulted from a friend handing me some pencils, and me jamming the design out in five minutes. Getting close to 20 years with it.

Tattoos are just scars that you choose.

2 Likes

My god! It’s full of sand!

4 Likes

Oh man, that would be a great first words.

2 Likes

Took me about a year to pick the tattoo artist I wanted to work with, a consultation to see if he liked the project and one another, and then 8 months of waiting for my turns in his schedule to turn up.

There are tattoos I know what I want, but I want in his style, so I describe and he sketches and we go (or I send reference material, he sketches and we go.) I am also likely just going to trust him on my elbow tattoo. I trust he has a better idea of what looks good on that bending piece of arm and will fit our little art project.

4 Likes

Dang! So soooo cool!
Thanks for letting us know.

I ended up buying The Martian on DVD because, even though I do have some major issues with author Andy Weir’s artistic license re big unchangeable facts1 about Martian weather and [human] lifetime doses of radiation among other things, I still found the film enjoyable.2 Matt Damon did a solid job in his role, and I was relieved to see a supporting cast that largely came through for the material and tone.

Hey, it’s the closest I’ll be getting to Mars this year, for sure. ; )

Please thank your friends for us. They contributed to an unbelievably strong, fascinating, long-lived series of missions. I seldom feel there’s good cause to celebrate these days, but the work that Bob and Norm and their coworkers on this project is worth cheering for. I sense the art and science of long-range planning in the U.S. is becoming a lost art. Here’s to institutional memory, nailing the details down unequivocally, and getting a ridiculous amount of science done in a “good value for the taxpayers’ money” kinda way.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nine-real-nasa-technologies-in-the-martian

1 Like

Oh totally! I did not mean to imply that super deliberate tattoos should be avoided. My first tat was in my mind for, like, 6 or 7 years before I committed to it. I have searched for particular artist styles too.

Yup. The Sojourner mission was relatively low-budget “off the shelf”, so they bought commercial dataradios from Bob & Norm, pulled all the parts off the boards and replaced them with space-rated components.

Somewhere off-scene in the movie someone is probably saying “Damn! All of this is written in Forth! Get that company on the line!”

2 Likes

No no … a Mars rover needs antennae

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.