Shut in sounds: Donald Fagen's "New Frontier"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/shut-in-sounds-donald-fagan.html

5 Likes

Won’t you pour me a Cuban breeze, Gretchen?

4 Likes

She’s wearing Ambush and a French twist.

1 Like

Does anyone know who the actors are in the video? It seems like a bit of a mystery.

1 Like

No matter how many times I came across that video on MTV, I’d always watch it. I still listen to the song now and then.

5 Likes

I love this entire album, especially I.G.Y… I was 2-3 during the actual I.G.Y. and oddly enough some of my earliest memories involve that

7 Likes

Me too. On my favourites playlist. Great for long car journeys.

4 Likes

Also a fan of the Kamakiriad.

Random aside: the very most fancy beach club in Newport, RI (Spouting Rock Beach Association, called “Bailey’s”) has a house cocktail called the New Frontier, so named and developed when JFK - a member through Jackie’s family - got to the White House. Here’s a pic of JFKs junior and senior on location:

3 Likes

For my money, one of the best (if not THE best) music videos ever. So spot-on with every image and cultural reference! And what a great song!

2 Likes

I really like this song.

1 Like

Damn, I’d completely forgotten Kamakiriad! I’ve got all bar one Steely Dan albums, The Nightfly, and a couple of Walter Becker’s, and I’m pretty sure I’ve got Kamakiriad kicking around somewhere, so now I’m going to have to turn the house upside down to find it.
Thank you! :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.