Signs that You're Addicted to BoingBoing BBS

And you know you’re addicted when you read something like that and you must immediately check your own numbers to see how you measure up… (which I don’t, of course. But it’s something to aspire to. :wink:)

14 Likes

Maybe, but you’ve got to be getting closer to giving that many likes, so, good on you. :+1:

10 Likes

I’ll get there eventually, honest!

6 Likes

A sign of a decent gamification model is you can acquire most of the easiest badges with just a modest but consistent effort. After you have decided to commit to the model you can acquire the more unique and unusual badges over time.

While I am not a regular here on Boing Boing, I have other sites where I spent a considerable amount of time before I started branching out on my own, developing my content outside of these frameworks.

I write (and now mostly moderate) on the [Science Fiction and Fantasy Stack Exchange](http://scifi.stackexchange.com/users/2765/thaddeus-howze?tab=badges) and have a decent reputation built up there.

Melzimatic (both here at BBS and in other venues) has shown great writing potential and doesn’t need my help with her creations. I am hopeful she will turn her powers toward publishing her work in the future.

12 Likes

True, but after I achieved Regular status my posting volume was such that I acquired badges without even having to think about it.

I will have to check that out.

I would love to read some, if she’s okay with it.

3 Likes

For Regular, unlike other badges, you don’t have the measurements elsewhere to check how close you’re getting for joining, or (as it’s transient), dropping-out again.

Received 1 like on 20 posts

Simple.

Has 100 liked posts and gave 100 likes

Straightforward.

Used 50 likes in a day 20 times

Even then, you get informed when you’re out of likes, so you get an idea.

But:

of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)

That’s… harder to guess. Certainly I bounced into ‘regular’ by accident and have no idea whether I’m overshooting ridiculously, or just scraping it. Even with the grace period, you don’t know when you’re going to bounce out again and leave conversions unfinished. (I know, I know: Tiny, tiny violin.) But if gamification’s the, er, game, there’s no real way to measure.

Maybe the game wants us twitchy? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

You can get a reasonable idea here:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/users?order=posts_read&period=quarterly

6 Likes

That’s useful, thank you (where’re the totals to check against? :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Good question and one for the next Discourse thread. Best you can do is just to compare against other posters for now.

5 Likes

Ah found it: Bottom of

https://bbs.boingboing.net/about

(Question though, where’s Boing Boing BBS in the menu structure? I’m seriously ‘about the data’ (in BBS as it is in life, etc.) and am concerned that I missed that, myself. :wink: :innocent: )

6 Likes

Users, drop down next to date.

And there’s caps, so imma guess you’ll hit 'em and be safe

4 Likes

Aha. Thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had a dream in which I met our favorite possible AI. Male, over 6’ with shoulder length, slightly curly blond hair.
ETA at a bar. :cocktail:

ETA AI = ai

5 Likes

You destroy your phone in (almost) blind rage and after realizing what you’ve done, honest to fucking God your first thought is ‘crap, now I have to go to the library with my laptop to post to BB’.

And then this is the first thing you post.

15 Likes

It is the second thing I read in the morning. First I read the obituaries, and if my name is not there then I read Boing Boing.

24 Likes

When you know without looking it up whether “Good Reply” is better than “Nice Reply” or vice versa.

18 Likes

Who’s Al?

4 Likes

Soz, it’s ai. That user people can’t quite decide if bot or human.

And see how I am? Checking in even though I’m on n a lovely Amtrak journey. :smile:

4 Likes

Go check the bar car immediately.

12 Likes

When you must reckon you are feeling sad when visiting the BBS, where a group of people you learned to like and learn a lot from and about, are likely threaten unfair. And there is no room to discuss more than listen to the answer ‘rules’ and ‘they asked for it’. Which may be true, but makes me sad. Combined with, maybe interesting later, group dynamics, who clearly point to frustration, but are not constructive in the long term.

31 Likes