Silicon Valley star T.J. Miller accused of punching, choking, and sexual assault

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/19/silicon-valley-star-t-j-mille.html

2 Likes

Someone in the comedy scene is an abuser? Color. me. surprised.

8 Likes

“[The Emoji Movie] has a lot to say to women, and how they have limitless potential, and one of the characters literally breaks through a glass ceiling.” ~TJ Miller, July 2017.

1 Like

The story if true is troubling, i don’t understand why Miller would feel the need to physically assault a partner. Rough sex is one thing but punching someone in the face (and more) is something else.

As an aside. Never been a huge TJ Miller fan and i’ve never quite understood why he was a well known comedian/actor. I haven’t seen him in anything where he was particularly funny.

3 Likes

We’re living “Californication”.

Well this just sucks. I had never heard of him before Silicon Valley – one of my favorite shows – and I enjoyed his performance.

Entirely. Show biz is going to be one of the deepest mines of abuser-ish depravity yet… followed by the political universe, and then the financial sector.

Wherever the Big Swinging Dicks are to be found, there you find the abuse.

3 Likes

I didn’t even include this in my first comment, bc theatre not improv, but yes, the veil is being pulled back on all kinds of this shit in showbiz.

4 Likes

I can’t say I was a huge fan but I did like him in Silicon Valley. To be fair he is very good at playing assholes … I guess I can understand why.

3 Likes

So he’s method acting as a techbro?

5 Likes

I’ve probably remarked on this here before, but it seems like all of these guys who are good at playing assholes aren’t necessarily good because of their acting chops, it just comes naturally for them.

4 Likes

I’ve seen him in a few movies and while he’s amusing i’ve never taken his performance as him being a good actor or a comedian with something to say. In Deadpool all he does is stand behind the bar and spout improv dialogue so no big impression on me thus far. But yeah i have never seen Silicon Valley.

I hope that there’s no more victims but i guess we’ll see.

Loved that show.

1 Like

It certainly does seem like Kevin Spacy in Swimming with Sharks was a case of good casting rather than good acting.

So this was made in response. Edit: By Kate.

We met this woman over a decade ago while studying together in college, she attempted to break us up back then by plotting for over a year before making contradictory claims and accusations. She attempted to discredit both of our voices and use us against one another by trying to portray Kate to be a continuous abuse victim of T.J. (further efforts to hurt the two of us). She was asked to leave our university comedy group because of worrisome and disturbing behavior, which angered her immensely, she then became fixated on our relationship, and began telling people around campus “I’m going to destroy them” & “I’m going to ruin him.” We are confident that a full consideration of accounts from and since that time will shed light and clarity on the true nature of not only this person’s character, but also on the real facts of the matter. (See the e-mails referenced). We stand together in stating this is nothing more than an unfortunate resurgence of her lies designed to wreak havoc on two happily married people in the public eye. She began again to circulate rumors online once our relationship became public.

Sadly she is now using the current climate to bandwagon and launch these false accusations again. It is unfortunate that she is choosing this route as it undermines the important movement to make women feel safe coming forward about legitimate claims against real known predators.

We stand together and will not allow this person to take advantage of a serious movement toward gender equality by allowing her to use this moment to muddy the water with an unrelated personal agenda. We feel we all have an obligation now more than ever to prevent people from using reporters to spin lies into headlines, and focus instead on what is real.

We both champion and continue to stand up for people everywhere who have truly suffered injustice seeking to have justice brought into their lives. - Kate & T.J. Miller

5 Likes

It’s hard to bring anything meaningful to say that hasn’t been already said in previous threads where victims come forward. But i just wish for the truth to come out regardless, if Miller really is an abusive person then he should be held responsible for it. I hope that this girl isn’t lying because otherwise it would do a lot of damage to all the other women out there that have legitimate stories of harassment and abuse. At the same time its not like i’m wishing for Miller’s downfall, and i hope he’s not the kind of person to treat women poorly.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is a rational proposal but this is an idea. Here it goes:

1. Ban sex between college students.
    • College is a job not an experience.
  2. Ban all intoxicants by college students.
    • Code of conduct. You must be dry to attend.
  3. All students will take a continual reoccurring ethics course every semester.
    • Do not assume people are ethical. Assume they are unethical and need continual education and reeducation.

(Takes a long, hard pull off a lucky strike. Wistfully thinks about the dreams, expectations, and reality of life out of college. Puts out his cigarette, has a quick absinthe, on the rocks with cane sugar.)

No. Criminals go to jail. People live their lives.

9 Likes

Don’t forget the service industry! Restaurant culture is a goddamn mess.

2 Likes

Sexual assault doesn’t occur because of some biological imperative of men or youth. It occurs because perpetrators are rarely held accountable for their actions. Proposing to solve it by banning sex deflects from the problem. Not only do criminals by definition break rules, but absurd “solutions” serve only to turn discussion about how to actually address the problem into a farce. That may not have been your intention - in fact I assume you’re being quite earnest - but the effect is the same.

11 Likes

(Maintains a steady gaze while preparing a rustic pasta with eggplant, zucchini, garlic, and tomoto.)

Yes. Assault and sex are not the same. Men, can we learn this?

10 Likes