Silicone dish scrubbers: because I'm tired of being told kitchen sponges are gross

Lifetime subscription to silicon sponges?

1 Like

Yeah, and if it’s a sterilisable perpetual cleaning machine, what do you use to clean the bathroom?

(I demote old sponges to bathroom use before chucking)

Cobalt is actually the safety option for wimps. Caesium is cheaper; but readily water soluble; which becomes a little problem if your sealed source isn’t quite up to snuff and your irradiation system uses a water bath as part of the shielding arrangement.

(Electrically driven X-ray emitters are probably the really safe option, since they stop being radioactive when you turn them off; but where is the glorious atomic progress in that?)

2 Likes

we use plastic scrapers for that, they work well. https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-SCRAPERPK-Durable-Scrapers-2-Pack/dp/B0039UU9UO

this and some paper towels also very effective. Especially if you put in the oil, let the crusty bits sit in it for a while, then add the salt and scrub.

like what we use, but prettier!

1 Like

That’d be where the second and third parts come in. As dangerous or uncomfortable as those bacteria can be. They are fairly common. How often are they in sponges in the wild. And how often is a sponge the vector for an outbreak. And rather than sterilizing the sponge. Does boiling or microwaving it prevent infection. Rather than render that sponge bacteria free?

How often have we heard about outbreaks of food born illness that are tied to sponges?

Basically I’m not sure this is a practical concern unless there’s already another source of contamination on hand.

1 Like

Second what @Kii and @Franko said. I’ve tried just about everything to clean cast-iron, but the flat, cheap plastic paddles they link to are the absolute best. Cleans like nothing else, quick and easy, and the paddles are small and simple to clean/dry/store.

1 Like

kosher salt and the chainmail.

He who lives by the sponge, shall die by the sponge.

I’d really like to have my own RTG, because, well, why not?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.