'Simon and Simon' was a popular TV show

This show ran for eight years, and I STILL have to explain my Simon & Simon tattoo to everyone who sees it! I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t get that Hardcastle & McCormick tattoo I wanted so bad, as they only ran for three seasons.

(This is satire on the perils of pop-culture tattoos.)

3 Likes

The only interesting thing about “Murder, she wrote” was finding Star Trek actors popping out in some episodes. So the explanation of why Jessica Fletcher was always near murder cases and because that Maine has the sunset on the sea was because was an holodeck simulation.

18 Likes

Thanks for that. Now every time I see a Star Trek actor in something else I’m going to assume they’re just goofing around on the holodeck.

12 Likes

That’s funny, I never saw a single episode of Simon but to me it seemed like a Dukes sequel, with Bo and Luke realizing they’re grown ups and have to get jobs.

Which of course would take all the fun out of Dukes. Probably why I never watched Simon.

4 Likes

AHA!

When I first heard that MSW was filmed in California, I thought “but the coast would be the wrong way round!”, and then I thought “wait that’s stupid” but then I was like “or… is it…?”. I am glad to realise there is a valid reason why this made my mind burp.

It’s a similar sort of chirality-based confusion as when you try to work out whether the moon appears upside-down in Tierra del Fuego, and if so, what does it look like at the equator.

PS I’ve never seen Simon & Simon but not liking Murder, She Wrote is a sign of a diseased mind

3 Likes

Simon & Simon was a fun show for a while… but had nothing on Riptide, never mind Tales of the Gold Monkey. I’m an 80s tv junkie… I even have the Wizards & Warriors dvd set.

6 Likes

Sure, go ahead, tag it as San Diego, but they rarely filmed south of Orange County.

1 Like

Add me to the list of teens who enjoyed this show.

These clips always remind me how long TV intros used to be. This intro alone is a full minute (not counting the outro tacked on), most of which is not even credits. This one is nicely edited though (the vehicle-diving cut is especially nice). It feels interminable by today’s standards of a few seconds of title graphics followed by names over the first few scenes (after a 5 minute cold open, even, lest you lose peoples’ attention for even a moment).

6 Likes

That takes me back. Obvious cash in on Indiana Jones fever. There was another show in that vein that escapes me.

4 Likes

Simon and Simon definitely not the dregs of 80s Tv …

7 seasons of Growing Pains!
Multiple shows based on the premise of gay panic!
Multiple shows centered around in-home domestic workers! Which was a thing for non-millionaires!

We had ALF!

To be fair, we also had MacGuyver, Quantum Leap, and Miami Vice … but woof.

3 Likes

I mean it was fine, but it was no Riptide.

5 Likes

Growing Pains was awful (and unfortunately gave Kirk Cameron infinite resources to spend the rest of his life being a monster). I’ve also had the theme song stuck in my head off and on for the better part of 30 years. How I’m still sane is a mystery for future scientists to figure out.

6 Likes

should’ve gone for a Wings tattoo.
ten seasons even more recently than Simon and Simon and still completely forgotten.

3 Likes

Was on any time it was playing at the Bar I worked back in the 80’s, and yes it was in San Diego, Ocean Beach area. Good ole home turf whodunit…

Ha, Wings. For a while Hulu was pushing that on me constantly as a “you might also be interested…” . I told my wife if I ever clicked on it or suggested we watch it, that meant I had lost my will to live and she should immediately kill me.

3 Likes

I remember watching it and enjoying it. I mean, it was no The Fall Guy, but the early 80’s had a love affair going on with quirky investigators…I think Magnum probably started the trend.

And then of course, they began to satirize themselves, concluding with the marvelous Sledge Hammer! (note, the exclamation mark is part of the title).

Allow me to share in this saccharine pure 80’s theme song, channeling Mike Post and Leslie Nielsen directly into your veins.

11 Likes

You may be thinking of “Bring 'Em Back Alive” with Bruce Boxleitner as real life animal enslaver Frank Buck.

4 Likes

I watched Simon & Simon a good bit the first few seasons. It was pretty good for the times. Besides my brother and I always calling it “Simon Versus Simon,” I’ll mostly remember it for Jameson Parker’s authentic punch-throws; he was an amateur boxer, and threw convincing jabs.

1 Like

Should have gone with a DOS tattoo. Everybody remembers DOS! I think… Did DOS even have a logo? :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s almost certainly the most logical explanation for Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

3 Likes