Simple camera trick for cooler photos

Originally published at: Simple camera trick for cooler photos | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m intrigued by this idea, and had never considered it before. But perhaps a side-by-side comparison in TFA would have been of more value than a link to a modelling agency aggregator?

6 Likes

been all along the watchtower… now this…

Imgur

1 Like

It is also possible to use this technique to make a land-sky-land photo, as was visually popular in sci-fi movies some time ago.

3 Likes

What’s the ‘one extra step’ when emailing?

1 Like

From context, it’s the app or the phone that does the flipping for external services, but when sending an email it defaults to a horizontal orientation, likely the same one that is safe natively on a users phone and in the cloud.

Also one may want to remove some EXIF data (before uploading to a service- like location), and probably save it in secondary format like reduced image size JPEG for emailing because grandma does not need all 20 gabillion pixels to see one’s pretty face.

1 Like

As if regular vertical photos aren’t sad enough… let’s make them even taller!

You can buy one of these to display them… iiyama ProLite S2820HSB-B1 | iiyama Monitors

1 Like

Okay, I wasn’t sure if it was that simple. I’ve had trouble emailing photos from iOS devices in the past and was wondering if it might be a solution to my problem as well. Thank you.

1 Like

16x3 aspect ratio? Sign me up!

1 Like

Pano mode shares some of the blame for vertical video. A long time ago now, but it took me a few moments the first time I used it to realise the iPhone demanded I go to vertical video to take a pano. I had never before used vertical video and it just felt odd at first.

1 Like

The technique can be fun to take glitchy portraits of varying perspective, a la funhouse mirrors. My examples are of my kids and friends, so, sorry, not going to post them.

Start low and close to the feet. Move out to make skinny legs. Make bellies huge by moving in. Side to side is wacky. Pin or bulbous heads. Move arms so they are captured multiple times.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.