Since June 21,000 Texans have died of COVID-19 while refusing a widely available vaccine

I’m sorry that you’re losing your brother. Even if you aren’t close, it’s still very sad.

35 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, after that lunch in May, I was so hopeful we could close the distance between us.

30 Likes

It costs them dearly, but man, they’re really stigginit to the libs.

Came in to post that it is very difficult for me to feel bad for these folks. And now I do. Thanks.

I meant also…so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

4 Likes

Ignorance is dangerous

It isn’t ignorance, it’s freedumb. You probably wouldn’t understand, it’s a Texas thing…

1 Like

I have been following the individual stories on https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/ for the last few months. It is morbid but compelling reading.

The tribal explanation seems very powerful here.

Any trivial thing can become a potent symbol of tribal cohesion and devotion to the group if it is held up as such by the group’s leaders and if one perceives it as being the marker between the true and the false. Being willing to risk death for that symbol proves one’s commitment to the group.

At other times it has been a flag. For the U.S right wing in the past 18 months it has become refusal of vaccines, masks, social distancing, and any other public health measures that may emanate from public officials. The fact that one risks dying for this symbol is simultaneously minimized and held up as worthy of praise: I’d rather die than let the corrupt “other” — Fauci/Biden/Scientists/Democrats/Deep State/Whoever — tell me what to do.

12 Likes

I’m so sorry. It’s always tragic losing a loved one, but in my personal experience this kind is even tougher because of the unresolved issues or unrealized potential of where your relationship might have grown if you’d had more time.
Hugs if you want them.

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

23 Likes

That too. So yes, that makes me angry.

And they are causing their families real pain. I had a several year period where I lost my mother’s parents, my dad, my step dad, and my aunt. My aunt, step dad and grandfather all in the same year, and my step dad and aunt within a month of each other. It sucks, losing people, especially when they are way too young to die.

I’m so sorry. You have my best wishes. Take care of yourself.

Me too.

Go read @BethanyAnne’s comment and grow some fucking empathy. Real people are suffering.

23 Likes

This whole thing makes me simultaneously sad and angry. I’ve said before that I was born and raised in Texas, and that my whole family is still there. Luckily, I haven’t lost any of them to COVID. Most, if not all, of them are vaccinated. I know a couple of months ago my niece wasn’t, and then she got COVID. I hope she since got vaccinated, but she’s young and otherwise healthy, and little prone to conspiracy theories, so who knows. Her mother, my sister-in-law, got COVID at the same time, but she was vaccinated, so she had a very mild case. Anyway, I just hate what’s going on there. There are still good people in that state. It’s not 100% Trump supporters and QNuts. Hell, it’s getting closer and closer to being a purple state every election. And the people not getting vaccinated will take innocent people with them. And many of the people who haven’t gotten vaccinated are not bad people. They are victims of years long propaganda by Fox News and other conservative voices and forces, and they instinctively distrust anything coming from the other side now. And I’m not saying none of them are bad people. Some are racist, homophobic dick heads.

I am so sorry. I wish you and your family weren’t going through this. It’s not fair.

24 Likes

Leading cause of death in Texas…
Governors need to shore up right credentials in 2024 presidential race.

There are just not enough bad words to describe him.

2 Likes

He isn’t being that clear about his sources Just saying “Data on 2-5 from Texas DSHS website which takes you to CDC website for the year 2017”. I think he is pulling from the CDC here (Stats of the State of Texas) and from the state itself (Texas Health Data - Deaths (2006-2017)).

Texas itself goes into a bit more detail. But also in a terrible table maker* that lists the top 15 for 2017 is as follows:
All Other Diseases: 22232
Cerebrovascular Diseases: 10776
All Other Forms of Chronic Ischemic Heart Disease: 10487
Other Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases: 9992
Acute Myocardial Infarction: 9887
All Other Forms of Heart Disease: 9801
Alzheimer’s Disease: 9530
Malignant Neoplasms of Trachea, Bronchus and Lung: 9109
Diabetes Mellitus: 5816
Heart Failure: 5515
Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease, so described: 4931
All Other and Unspecified Malignant Neoplasms: 4832
Septicemia: 4256
Renal Failure: 4168
Malignant Neoplasms of Colon, Rectum and Anus: 3881

*that table maker doesn’t have a sort function. While you can download the data as a CSV. it’s in UTF-16 with no quotes for each of the fields so the commas in the names and the numbers show up as different columns. If anyone is intrested I can put the full sorted list up somewhere.

3 Likes

“Kinda seems like people are volunteering to die.”
It’s the Texas way.

We’ve been fortunate here in Queensland. The death toll stands at seven for the entire pandemic. For Australia, I think it’s the low thousands and I hope we won’t get anywhere near ten thousand.

But then we need to be invaded to restore our freedom. /s

4 Likes

Texans have an innate drive to claim that they are number one in everything. They are winning this one too.

For those people, there is …
firefly sheperd GIF

7 Likes

That ain’t right. Either we gotta step up our firearms game or we gotta start gettin vaccinated/

You know you don’t have to be a dick about tens of thousands of people dying, right?

12 Likes

Dr Darwin working overtime.

Once again, go read @BethanyAnne’s post and learn some empathy.

simpsons-bus-point-redstates-not-monolith

tng-wheatons-law|nullxnull

People doing shit like this are only aiding and abetting the GOP assholes trying to burn this country down.

16 Likes