Since when did airplane food become palatable? Finnair plane food now in markets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/14/since-when-did-airplane-food-become-palatable-finnair-plane-food-now-in-markets.html

1 Like

I had a decent sandwich on a flight out of Amsterdam once. I don’t think I’d pay 12 bucks for one in a supermarket when I could buy the ingredients for a few more with the same amount of money, though.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t buy it at the store, but wolfgang puck’s kosher meal on the alaska airlines domestic USA flights are a must. Better than the food in the terminal for the most part.

7 Likes

Are Finnish supermarkets anything like Icelandic ones? If so, the price/quality comparison for airline food vs regular food may not be so far off.

6 Likes

I’ve found most EU based airline food to be pretty good.

For international travel, I generally go business, so I’m not sure on how normal food is. Business is…insane.

4 Likes

it’s just a microwavable dinner.

3 Likes

This is a sign of how desperate people are for a return to normalcy. If they can’t fly, they’ll eat airline food to remind them of flying.

Which reminds me—I can’t remember the last time I was served anything more than peanuts and soda on a flight.

6 Likes

I was going to say the same thing. Flew Icelandic air last year to go to Dublin Worldcon and they had pretty darn good food. Also, the donuts in the airport at Reykjavík are to die for. Thick, cake, molasses donuts… real donuts! I’d fly them again just for that (although I have to admit, smaller seats than even the lilliputian offerings domestic airlines are offering these days, but the great in-flight media viewer made up for it).

6 Likes

Pic of the boxes:
https://is.mediadelivery.fi/img/658/ed1a37e9e4204ee2a303588b845ee72e.jpg.webp

3 Likes

Generally since it was available on non-anglophone airlines.

Also, yum.

Back in the '80s, in my very rural high school, people were astonished and horrified to find out that I’d eaten reindeer meat, as they all presumed it was a mythical animal, like a unicorn.

5 Likes

Finnair actually does server Reindeer Tenderloin in Biz class on long flights.

It’s pretty good if a bit gamey

Just don’t tell your kids what you had for dinner

6 Likes

A partial answer: Airline foods become considerably more palatable as soon as one eats it closer to sea level, with a sense of smell that hasn’t been considerably deadened by the practically zero percent humidity air of an airplane at cruising altitude.

7 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve flown with Icelandair many times and never noticed the seats being smaller than those of other airlines. Now I’m wondering whether American airplane seats are generally larger?

3 Likes

Just checking: is that a photo of food from Finnair? I’ve flown Finnair a lot, and I seem to recall their food looking better than that.

1 Like

Never mind. I found it on tineye. It is indeed Finnair food.

2 Likes

All Nippon Airways has decent in-flight food. But the real fun of flying with them is free beer and wine. For a 12+ hour flight, that makes everything palatable.

3 Likes

An additional reason food doesn’t taste as good on an airplane - the loud white noise of the plane lessens your ability to taste the food.

You can try this one at home. Put on headphones with loud white noise playing, eat a bite of something that’s usually tasty, then take the headphones off or turn off the white noise, and eat another bite. For nearly everyone, the second byte without the noise will taste much better.

This is also an argument for eating in quiet restaurants - the food will taste better.

No one knows how this works yet, since our understanding of brains is very primitive still, but it seems to be true for most of us.

9 Likes

1*96Kk6EGvmyQ_DGWjh9QrCA

5 Likes

Anybody need a drink with their at home airplane food?

7 Likes