Sinead O'Connor converted to Islam and her name is now Shuhada'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/26/sinead-oconnor-converted-to.html

Of course she has. Because that Catholic church she was in has been abusive to women.

21 Likes

“This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim,” she Tweeted. “This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey. All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant.

“This is to announce that I am proud to smugly dismiss all other religions as fit only for ‘unintelligent’ people.”

38 Likes

Ooookaaaayyyy… Good for her?

27 Likes

I honestly hope she will create an album inspired by Arabic music. Love her voice and it fits pretty well to it. “Throw down your arms” written during what I guess was her “Rasta phase”, is in top 50 albums of all time in my book.

Of course, this all looks rather as a downward spiral… “intelligent theologian’s journey”… no intelligent journey leads one to religion. :expressionless:

22 Likes

“This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim,”

Cool. You do you.

"This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey.

Errr…

All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant."

Yeah, this won’t end well.

37 Likes

This thread won’t end well…

29 Likes

Uh… have fun?

4 Likes

I’ll support Christopher Hitchens saying religion is the root of all evil. Religion (including the Islam) is responsible for an incredible amount of misery, oppression, bigotry, hatred, inequality, sexual abuse, slavery and what not. So Sinead, I really like your music. But converting to Isam as a result of “the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey” ? You are insane.

23 Likes

It was never going to, but her statement doesn’t help. Fundies gonna fundie, I guess.

11 Likes

Ah yes. I remember her “life changing” conversions to radical Catholicism (when she was ordained as a priest) and Rastafarianism (when she declared she’d only play reggae from now on). I’m sure this time it’ll take.

46 Likes

We all clicked the link. Guess her Instagram post worked :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

26 Likes

I know, right? Organized, dogmatic religion! Yay. * waves tiny flag*

3 Likes

Oh man, Fox News is gonna have fuuuun with this!

Bald Pope Hating Punk Rocker is Now Bomb-Throwing Islamomarxonazi

20 Likes

Uh, should I care? If you’re not someone I’m interacting with, the answer is “No.”

About the only time it matters to me is when ordering pizza as a group. Then I politely ask if there are any toppings to avoid. Less trouble than dealing with vegans.

BTW, I’ve done shots while eating pork with devout Iranians. As host, I tried to steer us away from that out of respect, but they insisted. Seems there are loopholes when you travel and they were more than happy to take advantage of.

Religion, I find fascinating. What individual people are … who gives a damn as long as they aren’t dicks about it?

9 Likes

Actually… well I consider myself an atheist, and, when I was younger, quite rabidly so… since then however, I have met some great people, highly intelligent, caring, open minded, you name it, who also happened to be deeply religious… so while this has not changed my views in the matter, it certainly made me go more easy on religious people in general.

18 Likes

This is a nice throwback to the days when a former celebrity making bizarre pronouncements on social media would only make me sad for them.

9 Likes

I’ve been an atheist since I can remember. Early on I was asking questions like “why aren’t the Greek or Norse gods real when people say that God is?”
I mean, to a kid, the Norse and Greek gods were far more interesting and believable than grumpy old capital-g God.

For my GCSEs, I had a fantastic history teacher, Mike Birch. One of the modules we did was the history of medicine. And he used this to hammer home just how much religion had impaired the development of medicine (and science) over the years, which solidified for me how truly evil religion can be.

22 Likes

Mmmm K

Aside from that load of shit, I truly hope she finds peace and lives a happy life.

:dove: سلام

10 Likes