Single male cat quickly turns into a mom cat when he meets 6 kittens in need (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/22/single-male-cat-quickly-turns-into-a-mom-cat-when-he-meets-6-kittens-in-need-video.html

13 Likes

Cute though unusual; most male cats I’ve encountered in my time were not great fans of their own offspring, as cats tend to be very territorial.

9 Likes

True. I wonder if Bundy was neutered when young; that can lessen toms’ territorial behavior.

10 Likes

Ah, good point.

8 Likes

My cat Casper (who passed away seven years ago now) was always a really great big brother to our foster kittens. He would play with them, groom them, curl up with them. I still went through the standard introductory period when I got my second cat, Azul, but I barely needed to. They got along like peanut butter and jelly. He was neutered at six months and had the unfortunate habit of humping soft things (like pillows) even afterwards. But he still had the friendliest demeanor, even with other cats. Sometimes that’s just their personality. :heart:

9 Likes

My Tabbyguy, age 7 at the time, became very paternal and affectionate when kitten Tuxedogirl was brought home. He still is. She barely tolerates him

10 Likes

I’ve had two cases of young male cats (both ginger, which may or may not be a coincidence) taking over the care of elderly (male) cats; grooming them and cuddling with them.

There is also the case of the elderly rescued male feral who would act as as foster grandad to rescued kittens at a shelter;

8 Likes

Two things

1. The adoption of the older cat makes me happy. Compassion makes me squee. Some good humaning there.

2. Nobody can resist the power of adorbs! Not even an old grizzled formerly feral cat.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.