Sista Girl: Felicia A. O'Dell's ultra-low-budget cooking videos are what the internet needs

Wouldn’t rice, bought as a large bag and cooked the same way in this recipe, probably end up cheaper than the ramen?

1 Like

Watch a couple more videos - she’s got the big bag of frozen chicken down, with lots of seasoning salt and other things out of big plastic jugs.

I’m a fan - I wish I’d known that recipe that uses Ramen when I was in grad school… much better than the plain soup!

There are some really awful looking Ramen recipes in this list but there are also some pretty good looking ones, like Tom Kha ramen, cold peanut, bacon and napa cabbage, and sweet and sour ramen; Ramen Hacks: 30+ Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Instant Noodles

Ramen from a packet is really best if used as a starter for a meal, rather than a meal in itself. A few slices of meat boiled in, an egg, and a few veggies like sprouts green onion elevates it. And using half or less of the flavor packet instead of the whole thing makes it much less bad for you - that flavor packet contains, I shit you not, 100% of the RDA of sodium, 30% of saturated fat and a lot of other things that probably aren’t best to add to your diet if you’re at risk for obesity and hypertension. Which if you live in America, and especially if your black, is you.

Oh and here’s a bonus bad-for-you recipe to make with instant Ramen - let’s see if it gets the same outpouring of support - it should, since it has processed American cheese in it, and fat people and children love cheese;

http://vimeo.com/79105938

1 Like

Yes! The noodles aren’t particularly good, or healthy, but they are a great “base.”

I’m supposed to keep my salt intake down so I toss the packet, or use maybe a third of stuff.

I’ve done things as simple as tossing in a quarter package of frozen mixed vegetables, or a leftover canned water chestnuts / bean sprouts / baby corn. Seasoned with a couple of shots of spicy sesame oil.

2 Likes

Point well taken because blacks seem to be genetically predisposed to hypertension and the resulting degenerative kidney failure. And it’s not a lifestyle thing either. But if you add in Type 2 diabetes, the kidneys are going straight to hell, and dialysis no picnic.

1 Like

You are helpful, sir or madam!

240 pounds of sir, I spoze. Sometimes wish I weren’t so good at food!!!

Have never understood why iOS and Android even allow you to shoot video in portrait.

Because that’s how most people hold their phones, with the lens at the top. The camera could purposely display a landscape picture on the upright screen and shoot in landscape, but you wouldn’t be able to see it that well on the upright screen. I guess the solution would be to tweak the vid app so that it would automatically turn to landscape and not even display a portrait option. As in, when you touch to take a vid, the user interface for video just displays sideways and makes you turn your phone that way to compensate. I bet there’s already an app for that, but I haven’t checked. Nor do I care, LOL.

2 Likes

I’m just going to say it; this whole controversy about portrait vs landscape is an old people issue. Folks who are still stuck in landscape are probably still listening to Pearl Jam CDs and reminiscing about how great HyperCard was. Get over it, grandpa. Video can now be portrait or landscape. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hypercard was pretty great man.

3 Likes

Based on what I heard, she cooks food for sale, so it is not to surprising she would have a decent stove. The right tools make the work easier.

Take a hit baby!! Off that greased cholesterol-sodium ball of cheesy left-over-steak. “Kids and fat people like cheese:” yep fat- people to be and fat people.

Top Ramen for $.30 a meal has been an impoverished student trick ever since the 60’s. Even kids know to toss the flavor packet–at about 1.6 grams of sodium plus some other good stuff last time I checked. And most say they toss it, but don’t. Costs more effort and money than the ramen bag to replace the flavor.

I be fine with $0.30 of organic brown rice, with $0.10 of olive oil and vegies from the distressed produce rack.

(BTW, distressed vegies are good for you. They contain an enzyme to signal their cells to go into longevity/survival mode. And our cells still have the receptors for those enzyme although we don’t seem to produce it.)

I found it more depressing than viral.

1 Like

Hey! Hypercard WAS great! :smiley:

Yeah but landscape better represents human vision.

You know what’s worse than portrait video? When people change their mind halfway through the video.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’m going to have to double down on this one: Laptops and monitors should be given preference when designing media, so from now on, no videos or photos shall be recorded online in portrait mode. It’s offensive to laptop users, so all media should conform. There’s just no way that a portrait-orientated image or video can fit in a landscape-orientated screen, and no way that more than one element can fit on the same screen. There’s no reason why you might want to capture a vertical orientated video due to the content, which is why there are practically no portrait orientated photos in existence. And before you ask, it would be impossible for video hosting sites to change the format to suit the orientation of a video - we must continue in this way because this is the way it has always been done!

3 Likes

The stock Android camera app doesn’t prevent you from shooting in portrait, but it does remind you to turn to landscape when you’re in video mode. The arrows rotate around the phone icon.

1 Like

Not just that. Our field of vision is naturally a landscape mode. If portrait mode was something to strive for, we’d have eyes not side to side but up to down.

It can fit. But the cost is gross sacrifice of available resolution, or even more gross cropping. Unless you rotate it and then you have to rotate either the heads of the viewers, or the displays. Which, when the display is e.g. a projector mounted under the ceiling, is not exactly feasible.

It’s good to have the option for portrait videos, but it is also good to not use it if the reasons for it aren’t really really really overwhelming.

Stir-fried ramen is called yakisoba in Japan

And then of course there’s what Americans call Singapore noodles