Six Bay Area regions — San Francisco, Santa Clara, Marin, Contra Costa, Alameda counties, and Berkeley — to enact stay-at-home order starting Sunday

True.

Thanks; social distancing isn’t that difficult when one is already fairly antisocial to begin with…

6 Likes

Parts of it are more difficult than I would’ve expected, but:

10 Likes

I prefer the term “inside cat”.

1 Like

Some of these posts say all of the Bay Area – but not yet. San Mateo County is not on board yet.

3 Likes

Ah, good. I’m going to do some grocery shopping early next week, hopefully all the panic shopping, if there is any, will be done by then, and I won’t have to go out again before January. (Though there’s always the possibility, I suppose, that people will wait for the order to go into effect and then do panic shopping. So much of how people are responding to the current situation isn’t particularly logical…)

1 Like

That 2 day notice is asking for mayhem. 15 days, or zero days. I’m guessing Costco lines are gonna make the news tomorrow.

nor Sonoma. Someone up there actually thought the Bay Area was doing better in terms of ICU capacity, and was startled to learn of the new restrictions.

1 Like

But Costco isn’t closing, so why rush there? The lines for haircuts are what should be long!

I believe the Bay Area counties are doing better than Sonoma in terms of ICU capacity, but have opted to instate the new restrictions sooner than required by the state as a precaution (with the exception of San Mateo as noted above).

(Just checked the state dashboard - SF has 54 ICU beds available and ~900k residents, vs 7 open beds for ~500k people in Sonoma. Alameda county has 91 beds available and 1.7M people.)

1 Like

The city of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia has a population 5x San Fransisco. In the second wave with Covid cases rising exponentially the local government locked down hard, masks were mandatory outside the home, there was a curfew, travel was capped at 10 kilometers but grocery shopping was allowed. All stores had a defined number of people allowed inside at one time and there were sanitizing stations on separate entry and exits.

By going hard we have had no new Covid cases or deaths in the whole state of Victoria for the past 36 days, zero!

Of course the anti-mask anti-lockdown knuckleheads were protesting.

With a similar population to Indiana, Victoria has achieved zero Covid cases and all it took was a politician not concerned with being very unpopular with the conservatives.

4 Likes

Yes, many of us non-idiotic Americans envy Australia & NZ for how your governments have handled the pandemic.

We know that it didn’t have to be this way.

12 Likes

I was so upset. A couple of weeks ago, we ordered subs from subway, for pickup at the drive through window. The location was only doing business via the window; their lobby was closed. (I am not currently willing to do any business that involves me getting out of the car.)

There was a nice guy (he was a gentleman in the true sense of the word; he was picking up his pregnant wife’s very specific sub order because that is what she wanted) who arrived at the restaurant on foot.

Here’s my problem: They refused to serve him via the window. While I understand the policy of not allowing walkup orders when the lobby is open for safety reasons… c’mmon, serve him already. The restaurant is on a bus line in the middle of the more walkable area of our town and likely to serve a demographic which is more likely to rely on non-car methods of transport.

In order to help out, we got his order, placed it and paid for it with his money, then gave him the sub and his change. But… dude shouldn’t have had to dealt with that and rely on us not screwing him over.

Curbside pickup, pickup window/drive through, and delivery places need to understand that there are going to be weird edge cases right now, and have ways of safely and kindly dealing with foot traffic during the pandemic. Close the lobbies and interiors, but have a plan for serving people arriving on foot.

7 Likes

Oh we have more than our fair share of idiots too. People are still protesting the government when they can see what is happening in the rest of the world.

My comment wasn’t a boast, it was more to suggest that there are simple and clear procedures that work and that grocery shopping and essential services won’t be impacted.

Even McDonald’s was used to sell bread, milk and eggs via their drive through!

My thoughts are with you guys and hopefully things will change once that knucklehead is out.

3 Likes

The difference is, your idiots are not also the people who are in charge.

For the last four years, the US cannot say the same…

4 Likes

My bank has placed a sign at their drive-up windows asking walk-up customers to please stand to the side and not in-between vehicles. I appreciate that even though the lobby is open they’re trying to accommodate customers who don’t want to come inside.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.