Six people arrested for smuggling goose guts hidden under rattlesnakes into the US

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/06/six-people-arrested-for-smuggling-goose-guts-hidden-under-rattlesnakes-into-the-us.html

4 Likes

I don’t get it. It’s not like we’re talking about shark fins or rare caviar or something; aren’t there already plenty of waterfowl available for legal eating in the U.S. if duck guts are your thing?

15 Likes

Ah but the great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts got through undiscovered…

evil-hands

13 Likes

I just don’t get the thought process here.

Why not hide them under nail clippers or declare it as preserved rattlesnakes? Less reason to dig in the package.

11 Likes

I thought rattlers were a western hemisphere thing. Do we import rattlesnake corpses from China? Do they import our rattlesnakes, corpse them, and send them back to us? Are rattlesnake corpses somehow perfectly suited for hiding duck intestines, what with both being basically tubular?

1: ???
2: ???
3: ???

X: Profit!

14 Likes

My guess is they have a much larger duck farming industry in China and it is cheaper. Or, maybe a different kind and there is a perceived difference in taste.

I dunno if they have duck intestines, but I have seen whole duck at my local, large Asian market. They got all kinds of interesting things.

3 Likes

You could swap both items in the headline I would have been equally disturbed.

6 Likes

And they were really smuggling wheelbarrows.

8 Likes

…smuggling duck intestines from China into the United States, hiding them under packages of preserved rattlesnakes. Apparently they also illegally imported duck blood and hawthorn fruit …

me in progress — bands-and-cinema: Dr. Strangelove or: How I...

2 Likes

Dallas

2 Likes
  • COEN BROTHERS
  • VINCE GILLIGAN
  • NEVELDINE & TAYLOR
  • QUENTIN TARANTINO
0 voters
1 Like

They are, and the snakes in the photo are not rattlesnakes. My first thought was a confusion with ratsnakes (which do occur in China), though the one at the top right of the photo looks like a cobra.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.