Six Tarkovsky movies online free of charge

Originally published at: Six Tarkovsky movies online free of charge | Boing Boing

8 Likes

And… what exactly issit you dont understand in the sentence “boycotting russia”?

That’s… that’s not a sentence. It’s just a gerund phrase.

11 Likes

Lots of Russian cinema, including Tarlovsky, has been on Internet Archive for years.

14 Likes

The former Soviet studios have been making their catalog available on Youtube for some time now. You can even watch good Soviet cartoons.

ETA

12 Likes

Um…his dad fought the Nazis, and under the Krushchev Thaw, Tarkovsky was able to view the work of many other foreign directors…Kurosawa, Bergman, Wadja. More artistic freedom for him meant more creative storytelling for us.

Putin is the enemy, not Tarkovsky.

27 Likes

Or this 5-part children’s science fiction miniseries written by Kir Bulychov. It’s excelent, well worth a watch if you like sci-fi.

9 Likes

Thanks you. Muito obrigado.

They had some far out, psychdelic Cartoon behind the Iron Courtain.

One anecdote:

In the middle of the Cold War, during the latest military dictatorship (1964-1985) in Brazil, we could watch a lot of Soviet, Czech, Polish and many other communist cartoons in a Public/state TV station. The military hated local commies, but they loved to trade with foreign people.

14 Likes

Tarkovsky defected from Russia in 1984, which was the soonest he could get his family away so that they wouldn’t bear the brunt of his leaving.

He’s on the right side of that political divide.

24 Likes

The films are hosted by Mosfilm’s official channel.

4 Likes

Facts! To an internet conversation! Well, my stars! /s

Oh My God Omg GIF

10 Likes

That is a good point. I don’t know the organization: is it an official arm of the Russian government, or is it a non-profit arts organization trying to make sure the baby doesn’t get thrown out with the bathwater?

3 Likes

Mosfilm is a major Russian film studio. It is state-owned (a “federal state unitary enterprise”).

6 Likes

Those are really great (at least the two I have seen). They’re from a time and place where the movie had to rely on storytelling instead of overstimulating visual effects.

As for “yeah, but it’s Russian!”

Watching these on-line for free isn’t helping Putin’s army. Many great Russian artists over the years have worked in opposition to the dictator of the day. Tarkovsky himself left the USSR in the status of a refugee and never returned. He said he wasn’t a dissident but he couldn’t work in the USSR. I doubt he would be on Team Putin if he were alive today.

Edit: and he was also a really photogenic guy:

9 Likes

De nada,

Interestingly, Mystery of the Third Planet and Guest from the Future are from the same franchise. They both feature Alisa Seleznova as the main protagonist.

5 Likes

I JUST saw this Armenian Soviet animation - and it was pretty far out. Clearly going after the capitalist imperialists. Oddly uses Herbie Hancock and other western music, but it fits.

I thought Peter Chung drew mainly from Egon Schiele (and I am sure he was still an influence) for his series Aeon Flux, but I think some of these exaggerated styles in Soviet animation were also a factor.

9 Likes

That one is really wild. I once saw some clips from a Soviet Armenian surrealist film called The Color of Pomegranates. It was visually cool but I have no idea what else I can say about it.

1 Like

We’ve already watched (more than once) seven of his films via Criterion Collection, and all are pure gold. And Russian animation is fantastic. Artists in Russia are a brave lot.

2 Likes

BED AND SOFA, and THE CRANES ARE FLYING are both available and recommended.

2 Likes

Here’s Lev Atamanov’s take on artistry and improvisation versus rigidity and set “structures”. (The music is by (in spite of the name, Russian) Alfred Schnittke. His more serious music is worth looking into.)

BTW: The ballerina’s dancing was choreographed by someone from the Bolshoi Ballet.

4 Likes