"Skin gun" sprays patient's own stem cells on wounds to speed healing

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Also, you can shoot your minions with it. The stem cells cause them to gradually morph into clones of you, their master.

10 Likes

I have a flesh gun that sprays stem cells all overā€¦ Looks like it is lawsuit time!

13 Likes

I came in to make a similar tasteless joke. Well played!

6 Likes

Waitā€¦

Doesnā€™t stem cell research of any kind make the baby jesus cry? Wasnā€™t that the republican war cry about 10 years ago? This sounds like it could potentially be a good thing, saving people from additional suffering, and lowering the risk of infection. Iā€™m confuse!

4 Likes

Every cell in your body contains DNA outlining a way to build more yous. So obviously every cell you grow is murder. Clearly the only way to save unborn children is the genocide of all human beings before they grow any more cells. #sarcasm #FundieLogic

5 Likes

Technically spermatozoa arenā€™t stems cells, theyā€™ve already differentiated into a specialty cell. Though they did originate from stem cells.

2 Likes

Was waiting for thatā€¦

1 Like

2 Likes

Ahem.

6 Likes

By extracting pluripotent stem cells from the Holy Prepuce, we can ultimately make lots of Baby Jesi cry.

4 Likes

Also lens fibre cells.

1 Like

(As luck would have it these stem cells are also omnipotent.)

2 Likes

Somewhere a fundie just spontaneously burst into flames!

3 Likes

Based on the prices in the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook these should also be much more affordable than conventional treatments!

2 Likes

This is a term of art meaning ā€œWe have anecdotes but no actual dataā€. The whole thing has all the hallmarks of Stem Cell Scam #173.

Iā€™ll need to go back and take a longer look if / when I have time. I looked at the board of directors, and Iā€™m not happy with how the one PHD among them is touting his acquisitions over any scientific skill. Maybe thatā€™s the kind of BS you need to get venture capital these days, but it doesnā€™t breed confidence.

2 Likes

Note that the initial press release and video providing Markā€™s quotes have since been taken down and replaced by a new version.
New version says nothing about case studies, or regeneration, or clinical observationsā€¦ focussing instead on the fine-drop quality of the SkinGun (ā€œa well-dispersed mist of wound care and/or irrigation fluidsā€), which would apparently make a good airbrush.

To be charitable, perhaps the RenovaCare press releases really mean ā€œfibroblastsā€ and only talk about ā€œstem cellsā€ because those are Worship Words for investors

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to check the wayback, as I didnā€™t read the initial post. (Maybe itā€™s there, maybe not?)

Aside from the (certainly present; but rarer and less influential) ā€˜zOMG any science that sounds freaky to me obviously offends god!!ā€™ squad (who, in fairness, have wholly secular counterparts who just couch their ā€˜it squicks me, ergo it is evilā€™ claims in different terms); itā€™s fetal stem cells that get them worked up; because those are produced by the Abortion-Industrial Complex in their satanic fetus-grinder mills.

Fetal stem cells are valuable for a lot of research purposes(since they havenā€™t differentiated yet, itā€™s a lot easier to get pluripotent stem cells from embryos; and embryology is conveniently pretty much the study of how stem cells structure themselves into assorted organs and tissues); but for clinical applications the ideal is being able to derive the stem cells from the patient because that dodges the various ugly issues that arise when transplanting foreign tissue and having the hostā€™s immune system get touchy about it.

Given that we do run these risks anyway, since the alternative to most organ transplants is either death or severely degraded quality of life, I assume that weā€™d be willing to run them if somebody figures out how to grow new livers from fetal cells or the like; but for an application like wound healing ā€œand then you take immunosuppressants forever, or your immune system re-opens those wounds with prejudiceā€ is not a terribly pleasant prospect.

So, yeah, some stem cells get people really worked up(and some people donā€™t the difference and just freak out at all of them to be on the safe side); but the most serious backlash is with embryonic and fetal tissue, not with cells sourced from the patient.

2 Likes