Slashdot is 20

I was so disappointed when they lost my original id, and I had to get a new 6 digit one.

3 Likes

When karma-capping became a thing, I made six accounts and ran them up to the cap, with the intention of selling them. But then I met Cmdr Taco and San Mehat in NYC and Rob indicated (very mildly, I must say) that he’d rather I didn’t do that, so I didn’t.

I still have their RSS feed in my browser bar, but the site ain’t what it was.

2 Likes

Slashdot loves April Fools Day, so much so that in 2006 they turned themselves pink.

As @elliotk said above, their commenters seem to have gotten a lot more conservative over the past few years.

2 Likes

Not really. I sometimes have the urge to try to pretend otherwise; but it’s basically the pathetic online timewasting equivalent of trying to reminisce about the good old days with your childhood buddy now in the dementia unit.

Arstechnica’s comment system doesn’t have threading; but visiting doesn’t leave me feeling drained, and old, and hollow.

2 Likes

Yes, I like Hacker News and often comment there, but it is pretty much developer focused with a few random things. Slashdot was more consumer focused, for what it was worth. It’s where I first learned about the iPod, even though Rob Malda was not impressed and thought it would be a flop.

2 Likes

I once made a joke mod. It was an ironic post which became funny when modded insightful. I must have been killed in metamoderation because I didn’t get mod points for six months.

2 Likes

This. I got on Slashdot in like '98 or so when I was in college, and read there for years. It had a hard time competing with the scope of Reddit for other people, and I eventually bailed around the time of GamerGate when I got tired of arguing with people in the comments for being trolls.

Clearly I should have paid more attention and warned the world.

I’ve seen you there! :wink:

I used to keep a one line journal in my signature. Before Twitter. Then they kept shortening the allowed signature,

I see that there’s a Slashdot user who’s hosting a party in Austin at Irie Bean (http://iriebean.com/ – a nice shop) on October 20th. I plan to be there, would be happy to talk (“rant”) about Slashdot, esp. the part I know best (circa 1999-2016).

Cheers,

timothy (one of the editors for that stretch)

2 Likes

Wow, I forgot /. was still around it’s weird to take a peek and see things haven’t changed much like how the comment section is just as bad as I remember. Some things just don’t change.

1 Like

Not doing anything too embarrassing, I hope?

1 Like

You know what’s cool about the internet? CommanderTaco was just about the top of the heap before YouTube got big. Now, where the hell is he? (I can look him up, I know.) But he was anonymous as it gets for a decade. By design. Now he’s all but forgotten. I think that’s good. I bet he does, too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.