20 years of blogging at Boing Boing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/21/20-years-of-blogging-at-boing.html

21 Likes

For whatever reason, MKB is now just MK

These days she blogs at https://fivethirtyeight.com/contributors/maggie-koerth/

17 Likes

Congratulations on the milestone, and thanks for the content! Boing Boing was the first blog I ever encountered. While I’ve most likely read these links, it will be fun to revisit them.

6 Likes

how this entire post somehow missed mentioning the countless Disney related posts or bananas, i have no idea.

8 Likes

Those stories are locked away in the safe.

10 Likes

Thanks for that sample of fine post caviar from the bb vaults.
I initially thought that with this post, Rob was celebrating the fine old boing boing tradition of reboinging the same post as another author.

6 Likes

Pirate laughing in the background…

tumblr_1d378a6200fabdb60b66d006189ecddf_df0c29d6_640

5 Likes

Just look at it!

8 Likes

6 Likes

I can’t remember when I started reading… I think in the late 2000s? Schneier would link to Cory’s essays (or maybe it was EFF?). I’d guesstimate around 2004?

It makes me feel old that so much time has passed, and that so much is the same. Idiot president who likes golf? Turmoil in the middle east? John Bolten getting visibly hard at the idea of invading a sovereign ME state because “nuclear”… what year is it again?!

5 Likes

Hoping for 20 more years.

Though my acct status says otherwise - started reading in 2005.

5 Likes

Congratulations to everyone involved in this truly wonderful thing.

9 Likes

We call it the Disney Vault.

4 Likes

Frankly I’m disturbed that Rob’s safe unlocking post was entirely omitted. Like, with all that complaining we did? Should we have complained more? :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

8 Likes

image (1)_phixr

2 Likes

I remember the design / logo from the early 2000s!

I really miss the spirit of the late 90s and early aughts… the web was a lot less corporate then (well, aside from the browser standards wars… I just mean culturally it was way more roll your own), Free Software / Open Source was weird and scrappy and busy fighting the evil MS empire and not merely “free backend tooling for evil tech startup founders”

4 Likes

4 Likes

I started reading Boing Boing in 2004, if memory doesn’t fault me, because a Spanish blogger was passing your content (translated to Spanish) as his own until someone pointed at it. I ditched that creep and since then I have being a faithful Bboinger. In fact Boing Boing has being since then one of my two “Homepages” for my internet browser.

My favourite article, the one I keep re-reading and inspires me most is, without doubt, the Mixtape of the Lost Decade.

FOR ANOTHER 20 YEARS OF BOING BOING * !

*If Boeing does not tries to shut you down again.

8 Likes

z45000

Woohoo, one more year 'till Boing Boing can drink!
(Who am I kidding, we have enough international members to go by Canadian rules.)

11 Likes

Congratulations Boing Boing! 20 years is an amazing achievement. This site remains one of my favorite stops on the internet road trip of life. May there be even more wonderful things to blog about in the decades to come!

2 Likes